Starting problem PLEASE HELP

Status
Not open for further replies.

lillee64

Apprentice
Nov 22, 2010
ok i have a 1978 buick regal, 350, 2barrel. choke works fine. car starts and drives great but every once in a while it just refuses to start. i drove to the post office one day, came back out and it wouldnt start. getting gas, choke was working fine, spark good, everything. just wouldnt turn over. after about a minute of just holding the key in the start position, it finally came to life. went to the gas station, and parked it. turned it off, and tried again and it fired right up. no problem and that was less than a minute later. it does this every now and then. starts and drives fine, then it refuses to start for anywhere to a minute to a few hours, then starts like a charm again? ive done all kinds of trouble shooting and just cant figure it out. i dont wanna have to worry about being stranded somewhere.

It sounds like the starter solenoid.. next time it happends try tapping on it... You may just need to replace it or the whole starter good luck

RockSS said:
It sounds like the starter solenoid.. next time it happends try tapping on it... You may just need to replace it or the whole starter good luck

x2 ...I ended up going with a remote solenoid, with headers the pipes sit a little too close to the starter solenoid for me

Check your battery ground.

Same thing happened to me in my old GP. I replaced the starter, solenoid, and spent hours trying to fix it. Then my old boss comes out and says "Did you check your ground?". He then grabs my ground cable (went to my exhaust manifold, 301 car) and it was loose. Tightened it up and the car started just fine.

no its not that, the starter turns the engine fine! the engine just wont Start. the starter does its job fine

lillee64 said:
no its not that, the starter turns the engine fine! the engine just wont Start. the starter does its job fine

I thought you said it won't turn over?

pontiacgp said:
lillee64 said:

I thought you said it won't turn over?

as in come on, when i turn the key, the starter spins the motor but the motor wont come on. sorry if im unclear. regardless of temperature, most of the time it fires right up but every now and then it just refuses to fire. no lack of fuel or spark. sometimes it wont start the very first time i get in it for the day, sometimes it wont start after ive driven it for a while, most of the time it has no problem though. i dont know whats going on. i want to eliminate the fear of it not starting.

do you pump the gas pedal when starting it cold?....if you pump it when the motor is hot you might be flooding it

How about an ignition control module could be goin bad when it get hot it doesn't work but it could be a really badly adj. carb... idk good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor