Starting problem PLEASE HELP

Status
Not open for further replies.

lillee64

Apprentice
Nov 22, 2010
i think it is too lean, maybe i need to change my carb gasket because its just a piece of hard cardboard cut into a gasket lol. it soaks with fuel so maybe thats the problem. it use to work pretty well but i guess its worn out. and also i think it has the carb sitting too close to the intake

bill

Royal Smart Person
Jul 11, 2008
southside va/lake gaston
lillee64 said:
i think it is too lean, maybe i need to change my carb gasket because its just a piece of hard cardboard cut into a gasket lol. it soaks with fuel so maybe thats the problem. it use to work pretty well but i guess its worn out. and also i think it has the carb sitting too close to the intake

That would qualify as a vacuum problem....

lillee64

Apprentice
Nov 22, 2010
i dont think its causing a leak, its just soaking with gas from the carb. it starts fine when its not soaked

carpenter383

Apprentice
Jan 22, 2011
lillee64 said:
i dont think its causing a leak, its just soaking with gas from the carb. it starts fine when its not soaked

It shouldn't be getting soaked with gas, I would change it with a real gasket even if you don't think it's leaking vaccume just for peace of mind and to eliminate that variable.
Bill gave sound advise, same things I would have suggested, except I'd use gas in a spray bottle instead of starting fluid 8) Check for a leak in the float bowl when you change the gasket.

lillee64

Apprentice
Nov 22, 2010
carpenter383 said:
lillee64 said:

It shouldn't be getting soaked with gas, I would change it with a real gasket even if you don't think it's leaking vaccume just for peace of mind and to eliminate that variable.
Bill gave sound advise, same things I would have suggested, except I'd use gas in a spray bottle instead of starting fluid 8) Check for a leak in the float bowl when you change the gasket.

i dont think its a vacuum leak because if i go outside and start it right now, it would fire right up and run all day,well until it runs out of gas but if i let it warm up which gives the gasket time to soak up with gas, it wont start unless i let the gasket dry out a bit

bill

Royal Smart Person
Jul 11, 2008
southside va/lake gaston
lillee64 said:
carpenter383 said:
lillee64 said:

i dont think its a vacuum leak because if i go outside and start it right now, it would fire right up and run all day,well until it runs out of gas but if i let it warm up which gives the gasket time to soak up with gas, it wont start unless i let the gasket dry out a bit
Dude...the gasket is the problem. If you had mentioned it at the beginning, we would have told you that. Get one from AZ or Advance and your problem will be solved, unless of course your carb is bad, which is a good possibility.

lillee64

Apprentice
Nov 22, 2010
i kinda ruled it out at first but as i was looking at it today i noticed it wasnt working properly anymore. but thanks for the advice, there 4.99 at autozone, going pick up one 2morrow so i can sell this car lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor