Steering adjustment

Status
Not open for further replies.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
the flat spot where you install your steering shaft on the box is the same as on the box you took off isn`t it

one other question...did you remove your steering shaft from the bottom part of the column and if you did when you installed it are you 180 degees off

bowtie81

Apprentice
Jul 28, 2007
If i remember i think the flats were in a different spot. Never touched the column, just took the 3 bolts out slid the box from the rag joint and put it back in, in the same spot and lined the flats up. The wheels were straight when i put it in aswell.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
if the flats were in a different spot then I think the box wasn`t at zero when you installed the steerign column. I would take the column off and the pitman arm and set the box to zero...turn it to lock either way and count the turns....half way is zero..and then see if the flat spot lines up the same as on your old box

bowtie81

Apprentice
Jul 28, 2007
pontiacgp said:
if the flats were in a different spot then I think the box wasn`t at zero when you installed the steerign column. I would take the column off and the pitman arm and set the box to zero...turn it to lock either way and count the turns....half way is zero..and then see if the flat spot lines up the same as on your old box
I never even thought of that i will give that a try. thank you sir!

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I have to ask you something...your car looks awesome and that engine with the supercharger is something special. Changing a steering box and setting up the steering wheel should be snap for you....

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Did you compare the S-10 arm to the G-body arm? Was it identicle? If so no problem, but if not, your steering geometry may be off.

bowtie81

Apprentice
Jul 28, 2007
Thanks for the compliment on the car, the arms were the same. my buddy put an s10 box in and had the same problem so i thought it was normal.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
How far off is the wheel? A smidge or way off?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor