Steering adjustment

Status
Not open for further replies.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Bonne...you got me looking up f body boxes and there seems to be something different with 68 and 69 boxes but I don't have time to keep searching...it's friday and we have the awards banquet tonite..

but to get back to this thread since the steering wheel is off 90 degrees then as I and you have suggested take the pitman arm off and rotate it a quarter turn and put it back on.....

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
I got my box from an old timer at a swap meet who said he worked at a dealership in the 60's. He said when guys came in to upgrade to power steering they would throw all the manual boxes on a pile in back of the shop. He said it should bolt right up, so again, I can't figure what the problem is.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
The 68' was, since the steering linkage is behind the axles. 70' and later Firebird linkage was ahead of the axles. So I just removed and rotated the Pitman arm 180 degrees. That doesn't explain why the steering wheel is 90 degrees off. I'm telling you Pontiacgp, there's something stareing us in the face here but I'll be damned if I can figure it out. After fishing season ends I'm tearing into my messy garage and I will find my manual box. I can compare it with a power box and figure this out once and for all. EDIT- I just was on ALLDATA and guess what? The exploded view of a 93' S-10 Blazer steering linkage seems like it is a rear steer. If so, would you even be able to turn the box enough to rotate the pitman 180 degrees? You would need to do as I did and R/R. But he said he left the pitman arm on.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I don't know if there is any difference with a rear steer box but I agree that this issue aligning the steering wheel seems more complicated to find the solution than it should be...

bowtie81

Apprentice
Jul 28, 2007
If i adjust the wheel with the tie rod adjusters would'nt that limit the amount of turning i have to one side? i'm thinkng it would be easier to adjust it at the column.

bowtie81

Apprentice
Jul 28, 2007
I tried to loosen it off but that thing is tighter than a nun's( c u next tuesday). if the wheels are straight i have equal turns from one side to the next.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
you need to get a pitman arm puller...alot of part stores have a tool rental program so try that option to rent to the tool

bowtie81

Apprentice
Jul 28, 2007
well i went out to the garage today, pulled the steering wheel off. drilled a new hole for the spring, to make the horn work put the wheel back on, it's straight and i have equal turns from side to side.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor