steering box conversion

Status
Not open for further replies.

84H/O

Apprentice
Jul 7, 2007
Can someone clarify the stuff i hear about an s-10 manual steering box. I have a 1980 cutlass and would like to put a manual steering box in it, what should i look for?

Oct 28, 2007
Flint
The s10 manual gearbox will bolt in with no mods can even use pitman from s10 we have 4 gbodys in our group that rum s10 gear boxs we also were running one in a 87 trans am no mods only thing to remember is it takes more turns on a manual box to get steering response.

PHXKSTM

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 3, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
How about makeing a g body right hand drive?

can i import a steering box? to make it work

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
The G body never was sold as a right-hand-drive car, so it would be difficult. There is an Australian on here who has one that has been converted, but it was not easy. He basically used a box off an Aussie car ( Probably a Holden Monaro, Commodore or Torana as they were older RWD Holdens, and Holden is GM of Australia.) and then had to run a cross bar under the dash to actuate the brake pedal. It seems the location of the heater box makes it hard to properly place a master cylinder on the right side. Try finding the thread and see what was written. For my money, I would not do it as it would be a PITA to get used to and it offers no technical advantage. It's not like importing a R34 Nissan Skyline GTR which only came in RHD and is such an amazing car that you don't mind.

If you insist on it, see if a JDM engine importer can get you the steering box off a late model Nissan Navarra, or maybe even a Patrol ( SUV or truck, The Crocodile Hunter drove one on his show). Navarra is the name used in other countries for the Frontier and I know that they use Pitman arm style steering because I have driven one for 9 years. Then again, older Toyota trucks used a pitman arm setup and the Toyota Crown in the 70's was probably set up this way as well. The Crown was Toyota's large RWD flagship and it was powered by a copy of the 1954 Dodge Red Ram Hemi until some time in the 90's. Yet another possible donor would be a Mercedes-Benz W114/115, W123 or W126 chassis car. They too were pitman arm and available worldwide in a variety of models too numerous to mention here so I just put the chassis codes down. Both the Crown and the Benzes were used in taxi fleets so parts should not be too expensive.

coolchrisp

Apprentice
Nov 26, 2007
Grosse Ile, MI / Lima, OH
1badcutlass said:
The s10 manual gearbox will bolt in with no mods can even use pitman from s10 we have 4 gbodys in our group that rum s10 gear boxs we also were running one in a 87 trans am no mods only thing to remember is it takes more turns on a manual box to get steering response.
\

What year s-10s will the boxes work from?

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
All of them I think. All S10's use the same basic chassis but thye restyled the body in 1994 or so. Newer S-10's are no longer called S-10's but are Colorado's. They share nothing in common with the S-10 but shitty GM build quality.

crown14

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 10, 2008
Clayton, NC
I am running a '89 S10 manual box in my '79 cutlass- it was a true unbolt the old and bolt up the new task, and took all of 30 minutes. The cutlass pitman arm wouldnt fit the S10 box so I left it as it was, the only change to the car was the steering wheel position got a little off but I can deal with it.

andrewmp6

Master Mechanic
Sep 9, 2007
A right hand drive in the us is pointless unless you want to be a mail man.And driving a right hand drive is odd i had a old jeep that was a mail truck i turned it back left hand drive.The skyline is over hyped i have drove a r33 and r34 gtr's they lack handling and a v6 mustang has the same power and weight.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
I'll still take a Skyline over a V6 Mustang any day. WAY more potential and Nissan's ATTESSA AWD system is a work of art in those cars. Properly set up it is an amazing platform.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor