steering box for my 81 malibu

Status
Not open for further replies.

denny

Master Mechanic
Feb 4, 2017
couple years ago i did the s-10 junk yard manual steering box swap. seems to be ok but i ran across a 78 j10 jeep manual box with very little miles on it. from the picture it looks just like my s-10 box except the worm gear shaft looks a little longer than mine.this box was removed in 78 with about 500 miles on it and replaced with a power steering set up. any of you steering box experts know if this is a can do project? i have the pitman arms from my 81 and the s-10 and another one that i can't remember from what. thanks. Denny

Bar50

Royal Smart Person
Jan 1, 2009
Tulsa, OK
If the J10 is 4x4 can be backwards turning. Or opposite the way a normal box works.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
if the box on your car is ok then why change it?

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: 1 user

denny

Master Mechanic
Feb 4, 2017
if the box on your car is ok then why change it?
thanks for the reply. always looking for something better if i can get it for a song. s-10 box is ok but the jeep box is almost new but i'll have to pass it up if it's a no go. i'm not up to par on steering box interchange.

Bar50

Royal Smart Person
Jan 1, 2009
Tulsa, OK
Monte SS, GN, and 442.
You can use a Z28 or WS6 box but the stops inside are different.
S10 power box has a good ratio (14-1 IIRC).
S10, Vega, Malibu share the same manual box.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
thanks for the reply. always looking for something better if i can get it for a song. s-10 box is ok but the jeep box is almost new but i'll have to pass it up if it's a no go. i'm not up to par on steering box interchange.

Just because the box is newer than the one you have means nothing since you know that your box isn't leaking and works ok. The box in the Jeep could have been damaged in the Jeep ever slid into the sidewalk or if it was driven off road and hit a rock or something.

denny

Master Mechanic
Feb 4, 2017
Monte SS, GN, and 442.
You can use a Z28 or WS6 box but the stops inside are different.
S10 power box has a good ratio (14-1 IIRC).
S10, Vega, Malibu share the same manual box.
thanks for the reply. can't get away to eyeball the jeep box so i'll pass on it for now,although the owner can verify it had about 500 miles on it before he changed to power.

denny

Master Mechanic
Feb 4, 2017
Just because the box is newer than the one you have means nothing since you know that your box isn't leaking and works ok. The box in the Jeep could have been damaged in the Jeep ever slid into the sidewalk or if it was driven off road and hit a rock or something.
owner can prove box has low miles.that means everything. as i told Bar50 am unable to go eyeball it for now but will keep it under consideration. i'm going to the 8.8 swap for now so i'm done talking about the box. thank you for the reply.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor