Steering box leaking...more like pouring

Status
Not open for further replies.

smed7880

Greasemonkey
Jul 27, 2010
BAD leak. Tony checked around and Duralast makes a reman box. Anyone dealt with one from them?

Sherry

SSuper Dave

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 1, 2010
Pearland Texas
I just put a Cardone reman from O'Reillys in my daughters '82 Elky. I chose one for a Grand National, and it was $116 plus a $25 core. Needed to reuse the pitman arm and rag joint, but other than that, everything was great, and it drives and handles well.

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
is the leak from the front or the back?
i don't trust autozone/oreillys/whatever parts. not if you will be pushing the car hard. i'd much rather find a NAPA carquest whatever and pay the few extra bucks for fewer problems.

mheath717

Master Mechanic
Nov 13, 2008
Florida
Mine was leaking out the input shaft very badly... I bought a rebuilt one from autozone and I have had zero problems. It was about two years ago now. It turns like a new car, and has zero leaks. I also replaced the pump and pressure line, both from autozone...

They had a few options on the gear box. Different ratios for the turning. The standard one was like $115, and the tight ratio one for the Hurst was $185. Either of which you could get to work for you. I like Autozone parts. I mean unless you get a brand new one, they are all rebuilt in mexico so what does it matter?

heavy d

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 7, 2009
Northern Il.
Cardone does all the remans, doesnt matter where you buy it. Only that you should support your local NAPA guy :mrgreen:

JBreu

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2008
Livonia, New York
I bought one of these this past spring for my '84.It should also work with yours as well( if not, search the site and you will prolly find the one you want, honest people to work with as well)....I got it for $65.00:)http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/details/QQChevroletQQMonte_CarloQQA1_CardoneQQPower_Steering_PumpQQ19801981QQA120661.html

smed7880

Greasemonkey
Jul 27, 2010
Thanks guys for all the advice & guidance. Sadly, my Blackie is still sitting there, beautifying the driveway. Hasn't been fixed yet, but am blessed to have another daily driver so it can wait a bit. Looking forward to being behind the wheel again.

Have a great weekend!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor