Steering Box Upgrade Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

alphamale

Apprentice
Jan 29, 2009
Georgia
I am looking at upgrading my steering box, but first I am looking for input on what others have done and their experiences. I know that Lee's Engineering is said to be the best, but at a 400$+ price tag I am looking at other options. I have also looked at Kirban Performance out of Pennsylvania who sell Grand National rebuilt boxes and pumps. Replacing both would be about half of a Lee rebuild for me. Obviously there is the rock auto route that others have gone, but with that, have you replaced your pump or rebuilt/revalved your existing PS pumps? I have thought about attempting to rebuild the one I have my self, but I would like the quicker ratio. Right now my steering wheel is cocked to the right and there is a significant amount of dead space in the center (1-2in sway at dead center while driving). I have rebuilt the front end with Moog components and this is the last front end component I need to change before moving to the back. Any input from guys who have used Lee's, Kirban, or tried their luck with a rebuilt unit and PS pump please let me know. Thanks.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
If Lee's box is the Delphi 670 for $400 grab it. It is similar to and almost as good as Delphi 600 box which has new rack and pinion components. You won't find a better box for that price. I have a Dephi 600 to put in this winter and it carries a price of $700 here in Canada.

alphamale

Apprentice
Jan 29, 2009
Georgia
gp, that was actually the price quoted for them to rebuild my steering box and one of their PS pumps matched to it. Not the price of the delphi box. Sorry for the mix-up. That's why I'm trying to get feed back from others who have gone with any of these options before I drop the money. I'm not opposed to paying for a quality rebuild, but if I could get similar results for half the coin I would like to know before I commit.

455'ed80Regal

Master Mechanic
Nov 3, 2010
Lincoln, MO
Steering box and pump out of any 3rd gen F-body that came factory with 16" wheels. You will need the pitman arm off a G-body with an 800 series box also.

79loserbluebu

G-Body Guru
May 9, 2009
Illinois
rockauto grand national box and no problems here. feels good on the street. lots more to address besides a steering box if you are trying to improve handling on these cars

alphamale

Apprentice
Jan 29, 2009
Georgia
rockauto grand national box and no problems here. feels good on the street. lots more to address besides a steering box if you are trying to improve handling on these cars
Did you also replace the pump? If so, did it match the GN box or did you just use a replacement pump for your car? Thanks.

-Bud

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor