steering boxes...........Grand National or Monte Carlo ss

Status
Not open for further replies.

84aLkI

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 16, 2008
do they both have the same steering ratio???.......im wanting to put one on 84 elco....and am i gonna need to swap the pitman arm and the idler arm when i change the box or can use the same ones i have now

Both the GN and the SS will have the same F-41 steering box.

All your existing parts will work just fine, though if anything is worn, it'd be a good time to replace it.

They are the same, and I am moving this to the right place.

I bought a fast ratio one from an f-body for 15$ and it works great

If your Elky already has an "800" type steering box. the type with the 4-bolt cover on top. use the pitman arm from that.
If it's a 605 type box with the round cover on top, they're not interchangeable. The shafts are different.

I swapped mine when the pitman arm seal went south :shock: It was the same ratio box, but had the 4-bolt cover, bolted right up, shaft & all :shock:

I guess I phrased this wrong... :? What I meant was.. the pitman arm from a 605 box will not fit on an 800 series box. and vice versa.

I've replaced two 605 series boxes in the past until I finally got a hold of a quick ratio Monte Carlo SS box.

Ok, I gotcha 😀 I'd like to pick one up one day... it's not extremely high on my list right now, the other box has done me good, I think it may be a rebuilt unit... had very little rust, was covered in grease/gunk from the previous car.

Darren,
By all means keep what you have if it's still in good working order. I had to replace mine at the time and ended up overpaying for a used unit with who knows how many miles were on it. However, so far so good, it's been in my car for 9 yrs now. Can't beat that.

BTW, your car looks alot better with the spray bomb paint job. I'll have to paint mine all one color one of these days.

Jack

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor