Steering Boxes

I would imagine those particular year Grand Cherokee boxes are probably becoming a little harder to come by at the junkyard. They're now considered as older vehicles if you think about it. :unsure:

I too have the quick steering box. I got mine from Buy Auto Parts (BAP). You’ll like the QR box if you get one. I upgraded from the 600 box to the 800 box because the 600 leaked and I was doing the front steering components anyway.

Reactions: 1 users
I too have the quick steering box. I got mine from Buy Auto Parts (BAP). You’ll like the QR box if you get one. I upgraded from the 600 box to the 800 box because the 600 leaked and I was doing the front steering components anyway.
Did you buy a reman'd box or a new unit? Also, what company was it from, Lares, Cardone, etc. ?
I replaced two 600 series boxes since I first owned the car. Both were bad leakers. The 800 series box is a much more durable unit. I installed my Monte SS box over 20 yrs ago and it's held up beautifully over the years....and it was a used box to begin with.

Did you buy a reman'd box or a new unit? Also, what company was it from, Lares, Cardone, etc. ?
I replaced two 600 series boxes since I first owned the car. Both were bad leakers. The 800 series box is a much more durable unit. I installed my Monte SS box over 20 yrs ago and it's held up beautifully over the years....and it was a used box to begin with.
It was a reman unit. I don't know what company it was from. It was whatever they used. I put it on about a couple years ago and it's been working great. However, this car is not a daily driver. It's just a toy and does not get much summer driving as the sun practically touches the city of Phoenix.

It was a reman unit. I don't know what company it was from. It was whatever they used. I put it on about a couple years ago and it's been working great. However, this car is not a daily driver. It's just a toy and does not get much summer driving as the sun practically touches the city of Phoenix.
Thanks for your feedback. I'll checkout BAP's website. My car had been a daily driver for many years until I took it off the road for a redo. Stuff does go bad over time. The fun and challenge of owning an older vehicle.

Reactions: 2 users
I found the receipt. It shows part #18200068-101
Power steering model - 4 bolt housing cover power steering gear box 1979 Malibu

I don't think that's it. If you scroll down you'll see one that says sport steering 2.5 LTL. I think that is the one I have. It is 2.5 turns ish lock to lock on the steering wheel. I also think it was a little cheaper but it's been two years ago when I got mine. I'll see if I can find it in my receipts.
I actually typed it in for an '86 Monte Carlo with 2.5 turns lock to lock, 4-bolt top housing cover, which is pretty much in my car presently.

I guess this is the one that you indicated. https://www.buyautoparts.com/buynow/1979/chevrolet/malibu/power_steering_gear_box/82-00068_qr

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor