Steering column probem

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
The good news: you can grind the shift handle mount off, fill and paint the collar. The floor shift still needs all the linkage at the base of the column in place so the ignition key still locks the steering and shifter.

Reactions: 1 user

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
The good news: you can grind the shift handle mount off, fill and paint the collar. The floor shift still needs all the linkage at the base of the column in place so the ignition key still locks the steering and shifter.
All of that plus I’ve already done to my original column. Plus I’ve installed a neutral safety switch with my Lokar shifter and the reverse lights work off of the LED shift indicator. All that because when I didn’t know any better, I got rid of everthing off of the column. HINDSIGHT ????

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I just bring the shift bar on the column up to park position and bend the bar and secure to the firewall. I already have my reverse lights and neutral safety wired to micro switches on my B & M shifter and there is no getting linkage around my huge headers to go to the column.
Works great and the column locks with the key.

Reactions: 1 users

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
I just bring the shift bar on the column up to park position and bend the bar and secure to the firewall. I already have my reverse lights and neutral safety wired to micro switches on my B & M shifter and there is no getting linkage around my huge headers to go to the column.
Works great and the column locks with the key.
I’ve got all of that taken care of. Now it’s the loose shaft in the column. I’m right this miute taking it apart to see if I can find the cause.

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
Apologies...if I had read this thread from the first post, I would have seen that you had done that already. Hutch's video is really helpful. I bookmarked that puppy. Loctite and this should be the last time into the column...

Reactions: 1 users

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
Apologies...if I had read this thread from the first post, I would have seen that you had done that already. Hutch's video is really helpful. I bookmarked that puppy. Loctite and this should be the last time into the column...
I’ve watched it 3 times and now I’m pausing at each step.

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
I didn’t know there was a tool to press the locking wheel. I just used my left hand to press down against the spring, a pick with a 90-degree bend at the tip, and a lot of French.

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
If the upper shaft is loose, sounds like you left out the spring that preloads the bearing, under the cancel cam/lock plate.

If the whole upper jacket is loose/floppy, the tilt head screws have loosened.

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
I didn’t know there was a tool to press the locking wheel. I just used my left hand to press down against the spring, a pick with a 90-degree bend at the tip, and a lot of French.
Back in the poor-boy days, before I was a "professional", we used a circular saw blade and a couple of sockets to depress the plate to pry out the snap ring

JimmyCamino

Greasemonkey
Dec 15, 2020
Alexandria, VA
I was able to remove and install the locking plate when I disassembled the column on my '82 about 20 years ago. Wasn't strong enough when I did my '84 last year, had to get the tool.

Get yourself the Lisle 19940 pivot pin remover before you start the project to save time later.

• Agree
  • Winner
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor