steering column

Status
Not open for further replies.

kewpie79

Greasemonkey
Jan 26, 2006
Albuquerque, New Mexico
I need to replace the steering column on the 84 grand prix my son just picked up. The problem is it will steer fine, but the wheel itself moves all around the place. Any help on doing this project would be appreciated. our shop manual is on order and we are waitng for it. thanks.

betsy84

Greasemonkey
Nov 27, 2005
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
If you mean you have play in the wheel that's nothing irregular. It could just be the ratio of your steering box. I can move mine maybe 15-25* left and right without any movement in the car. Or if you mean you're driving and it just randomly goes for a turn... I'd say thats a problem. lol.

grandamman

G-Body Guru
Nov 7, 2005
up in the hills
I think the "play" you are descibing is in the steering wheel itself.
I think, you need to remove the steering wheel and horn assembly. You'll find 3? bolts. These become loose and they just need to be tightned, maybe add some lock tight tho the threads.....

Anyone else ever done this?

kewpie79

Greasemonkey
Jan 26, 2006
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Thats what I needed thanks. The wheel just doesn't have play, it can move four inches in every direction.

MrCamaro69

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 20, 2006
It's always a good idea to narrow down the problem area first.
Before you start tearing into the column, make sure that's where the play is...One person get in the car and turn the wheel, other person watch the steering shaft under the hood. Without galling the shaft, use something to hold it still and see if the wheel still turns.

kewpie79

Greasemonkey
Jan 26, 2006
Albuquerque, New Mexico
From the engine compartment, I can turn the steering column by hand and also see the steering wheel move inside the car. I can also pick up the column by hand easily. it is as loose as a goose.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor