steering wheel removal

Status
Not open for further replies.

beeterolds

Master Mechanic
Dec 15, 2007
Cleveland ohio 44131
I had an alignment last year and this winter I installed a newer Jeep steering shaft, now my steering wheel is crooked. Can I just pop off my steering wheel and reinstall It straight or do the splines allow the wheel to be installed in one position only. I can't remember for the life of me. I know most GM trucks of that era you could only install the wheel straight. ..

Thanks!!

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I'm wondering how the steering wheel got turned. When you changed the shaft I imagine the wheel was in it's locked position and your not going to be turning the front wheels by turning the shaft by hand... :?:

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
Mine doesnt have any key. It has splines but I can put the wheel on in any direction I want. Not sure if mine is broke off? The car has had 3 different steering wheels since I have owned it and I never seen a key. I had to make sure the wheels were straight and then put the wheel on as straight as I could.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
-83MONTESS- said:
Mine doesnt have any key. It has splines but I can put the wheel on in any direction I want. Not sure if mine is broke off? The car has had 3 different steering wheels since I have owned it and I never seen a key. I had to make sure the wheels were straight and then put the wheel on as straight as I could.

The wheel has to line up with turn signal cancel cam tube that has the horn contact. If I am mistaken about a key the cancel cam will keep you from being able to change the orientation of the wheel

$_12.JPG

Pontiac455

Master Mechanic
Jun 8, 2010
Easy fix dude, while yer driving down the road straight with the wheel crooked, mark the wheel and the column. When ya get home line the marks up. The wheels will be straight just as when u were driving down the road. Carefully pop the steering shaft off the box without moving it. Next go in the car and straighten the steering wheel and lock it. If it wont lock with the key jam it or tie it somehow. Than install the shaft back onto the box without moving n e thing.

skulledmonte84

Master Mechanic
Feb 7, 2014
near Clearfield pa
Id just follow what Pontiac455 put down :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor