Steering wheel resto

Status
Not open for further replies.

superbon54

G-Body Guru
Apr 15, 2014
Wisco
I’ve got a burgundy steering wheel out of an El Camino (think Monte SS wheel but not black) that is in really nice shape except for 11 to 1 o’clock, where it is worn completely smooth. Does anyone know of restoration options for these wheels? Anyone ever use one of those wheelskins style sew on covers?

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
Yup, I used one of these on my T/A wheel:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071F1C7X7/?tag=gbody-20
1566387660518.png

It is flipped inside out to get the suede, and I had to punch another row of holes to get it tighter. It works great for the price. Here's a link to the whole deal.

Reactions: 2 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
I’ve got a burgundy steering wheel out of an El Camino (think Monte SS wheel but not black) that is in really nice shape except for 11 to 1 o’clock, where it is worn completely smooth. Does anyone know of restoration options for these wheels? Anyone ever use one of those wheelskins style sew on covers?
Around five or six years ago I did a wheel skin in an 02 F250 Lariat. I was really happy with it when I installed it. It was grey. I was disappointed with how the finish held up. It had considerable wear on it after three months of daily driving. I sold the truck. If I had kept it, I would have periodically replaced the wheel skin or come up with a different solution.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I actually would like to do a Wheel skin on my car. Years back I did one on my Porsche and it came out great. I think it was before the Wheel skin brand was even heard of. It's gotten kind of worn out and shabby looking.
I like how the stitching is discretely positioned under the wheel rim. If done right, it looks like the wheel was made that way.

Reactions: 1 user

superbon54

G-Body Guru
Apr 15, 2014
Wisco
Around five or six years ago I did a wheel skin in an 02 F250 Lariat. I was really happy with it when I installed it. It was grey. I was disappointed with how the finish held up. It had considerable wear on it after three months of daily driving. I sold the truck. If I had kept it, I would have periodically replaced the wheel skin or come up with a different solution.

Thanks for the input, I think I’ll give one a shot. It’s a fair weather car so if I have to replace it every couple years to keep my ocd in check, I’ll just do it.

Reactions: 1 user

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
D,
Your wheel came out amazing. Wow!! What an enhancement. :love:

Reactions: 1 users

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I have Wheel Skins solid color leather on both my gbodies - on the elky for over 15 yrs - they are awesome, I'd never use anything else
Hey Ed,
What have you been up to lately?

EdontheBeach

Master Mechanic
Feb 29, 2012
Indian Rocks Beach, FL
Hey Ed,
What have you been up to lately?

I'm wrapping up a trailer I've been building to carry all my 'stuff' for the road trips in OLDScool. I plan to leave in a few weeks - hugging the coastline, staying in parks all the way to Brownsville, TX, then up the border to Big Bend National Park. It'll be a couple months on the road.

Nov 4, 2012
I tried to do a wheelskins on my Camry a couple years ago. I watched the instruction video but I still managed to **** it up. The waxy string kept sticking to itself and I eventually pulled on it so hard the string broke. I'm sure it was my fault because plenty of people have installed them without any problems. I wish it would've worked out, because I think they look great once installed. I may try to install one again sometime but I gave up on my first attempt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor