Sticky steering wheel

JD1964

Master Mechanic
Dec 31, 2014
Is there a way to prevent the steering wheel form getting that sticky condition? Feels really tacky after it sits a while.

C745DFAB-F385-4E24-819A-1B9F0B5CE1BC.jpeg

Reactions: 1 user

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Perhaps look into a nice leather sew on steering wheel cover. Although your wheel appears to be in pretty nice shape despite the gooey slime that these wheels emit.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

abbey castro

Royal Smart Person
Oct 31, 2015
Harker Hts TX
99% Alcohol will dissolve/remove the sticky substance. I use it on mine and it works. Try it on a small part to see if it will work for you.

Reactions: 5 users

SS_Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Sep 27, 2021
Mesa, AZ
Years ago I used to have a 78 Malibu with the same color interior and both the wheel and horn also emitted a sticky goo. I ended up changing out the wheel because I couldn't get it to stop.

Reactions: 1 users

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
During the Covid madness, excessive use of the high test version of Purell was a fact of work life. found that the 70%+ alcohol variant made a great steering wheel cleaner. Slather it on your hands and apply the excess to the wheel and then wipe it off with a paper towel. In the fuglies, it often took a serious number of repetitions to get the wheels clean because most of the regular drivers had never paid attention to keeping the cabins clean, never mind giving the units a regular bath. I still get "Generous" when applying the stuff and then slathering it on the unit's steering wheel. S*** that gets moved and handled around iby us n my city is anything but clean and sterile; more like germ and virus central and the average sheeple is dumb to the point of permanent stupidity about public hygiene.

The high test alcohol can be acquired at any local drug store or pharmacy. Up here you might have to ask the pharmacist because certain elements continually try to subsitute it for the real thing with lethal consequences. It also makes great cleaner for purging brake lines.

Nick

Reactions: 4 users

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
One of the joys of the steering wheels in our cars. Either they are goo producers or just shrink & crack.

• Agree
Reactions: 5 users

JD1964

Master Mechanic
Dec 31, 2014
Years ago I used to have a 78 Malibu with the same color interior and both the wheel and horn also emitted a sticky goo. I ended up changing out the wheel because I couldn't get it to stop.
The true car owner is my son. He’s the owner and I’m the mechanic. I had approached him on the idea of an aftermarket wheel and he said no. He likes the stock wheel.

Reactions: 2 users

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I also had the same color interior and wheel and couldn't get the gooey stuff to stop. I still have the old wheel hanging up in my garage after replacing it.

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
I had the cracked, hard plastic variety. I wrapped my wheel with a cheap imported EBay 'leather' wrapper. It stretched like a goatskin glove, but didn't match the wheel color. I replaced it with a blue Wheelskin cover, same baseball stitch. MUCH better quality and the color was a reasonable match.

On another car, I was able to find a Cherokee wheel from a Forum member that really matched the (sticky) stock Malibu wheel color, but will never get sticky, not made of molded vinyl.

If you choose the first option, clean the hell out of it with 90% isopropyl, then use BOTH the EBay wrapper and a red Wheelskins cover. You'll end up with a thicker, padded wheel like what I ended up from a Cherokee. For 1/3 the cost plus your labor.

• Informative
Reactions: 2 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor