Stock 305, thoughts on 3” tubing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
You have a better system than the factory G body "high performance" exhaust systems, good enough for a 305. 4 and 6 cyl cars can definitely be fast but they should be kept quiet. Every 4 cyl sounds bad, period. Some 6 cyl sound Ok. Guys come on the Challenger site and claim their 3.6 sounds good, it doesn't due to the manifold in head design. The factory resonators filter out the bad sound. Yeah, your 305 will sound mean, just don't go around thinking you are the king of the stop lights.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
I would use a 2 1/4 true dual exhaust with a "x" pipe and or cross over pipe .With a decent set of mufflers . High flow cats are an option depending on the state,
Dual exhaust, even with dual cats is still illegal for G bodies in all 50 states. Only single cat exhausts are legal for G bodies. Its just some states don't bother enforcing the laws on older cars for the time being.

Michael Watts

Master Mechanic
Dec 12, 2017
So .I have a similar system in my 1981 El Camino SS with a 290 HP 350.And I passed the emissions test the last time the state ran one .So its up to the individual if they want to .Since they arent running them anymore.

abbey castro

Royal Smart Person
Oct 31, 2015
Harker Hts TX
Dual exhaust, even with dual cats is still illegal for G bodies in all 50 states. Only single cat exhausts are legal for G bodies. Its just some states don't bother enforcing the laws on older cars for the time being.
Its not illegal in Bell County TX. It is not an inspection item. I'm running long Hookers with after market Cats, X Pipe with Flow Masters on 2 1/2 in pipes. Inspection items are all lights, horn, brakes, e-brake, wipers

08Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Feb 9, 2014
North Jersey
I run true duals, with an x pipe in NJ. My car has been except for like 15 years already.

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
Its not illegal in Bell County TX. It is not an inspection item. I'm running long Hookers with after market Cats, X Pipe with Flow Masters on 2 1/2 in pipes. Inspection items are all lights, horn, brakes, e-brake, wipers
Its illegal under Federal law for all 50 states for steet cars and trucks. Part of the Clean Air Act of 1990 signed by Bush senior. Its not legal to install dual exhaust into any car that didn't have dual exhaust available as a factory option.

Furthermore, no G body was certified to have dual cats as part of its low emission package, only single cats.
I run true duals, with an x pipe in NJ. My car has been except for like 15 years already.
I
I live in NJ too, you and I are only exempt from state ran inspections and testing. However, we are not exempt from obeying federal emission laws.

In short, your car is emission illegal and therefore road illegal. Just NJ doesn't bother to enforce the law on older cars for the time being. Granted cops can still give you spot inspections and tickets for non complance.

Its similar to the legal situation with marijuana. A state like CO may legalize it but its still illegal under federal law.

• Agree

08Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Feb 9, 2014
North Jersey
Its illegal under Federal law for all 50 states for steet cars and trucks. Part of the Clean Air Act of 1990 signed by Bush senior. Its not legal to install dual exhaust into any car that didn't have dual exhaust available as a factory option.

Furthermore, no G body was certified to have dual cats as part of its low emission package, only single cats.

I live in NJ too, you and I are only exempt from state ran inspections and testing. However, we are not exempt from obeying federal emission laws.

In short, your car is emission illegal and therefore road illegal. Just NJ doesn't bother to enforce the law on older cars for the time being. Granted cops can still give you spot inspections and tickets for non complance.

Its similar to the legal situation with marijuana. A state like CO may legalize it but its still illegal under federal law.
I have qq plates, I’m good. There’s worse offenders to mess with. I don’t run a front plate either. I’m a real bad *ss.

• Haha
  • Agree
Reactions: 3 users

Jim Rockford

Master Mechanic
Nov 10, 2007
Shelby,N.C.
I just installed a set of hookers and a nice 2 1/2 dual exhaust with a hooker X pipe and I can tell you even 2 1/2 is a tad too much for a 305, doesnt hurt its just I can feel the restriction now is the small bore of the 305.

abbey castro

Royal Smart Person
Oct 31, 2015
Harker Hts TX
I just installed a set of hookers and a nice 2 1/2 dual exhaust with a hooker X pipe and I can tell you even 2 1/2 is a tad too much for a 305, doesn't hurt its just I can feel the restriction now is the small bore of the 305.
OEM design systems are based on a bunch of parameters. A 305 from the factory has the right diameter pipe. Anything above drains it. My son is a sw engineer for a European simulation sw company and they run programs that are used by almost all OEMs on exhaust as well as intake efficiencies. I've seen a simulation on the effect of exhaust diameter is interesting. Everyone knows that the diameter and length of the tubes as well as the collector influence power.

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
OEM design systems are based on a bunch of parameters. A 305 from the factory has the right diameter pipe. Anything above drains it. My son is a sw engineer for a European simulation sw company and they run programs that are used by almost all OEMs on exhaust as well as intake efficiencies. I've seen a simulation on the effect of exhaust diameter is interesting. Everyone knows that the diameter and length of the tubes as well as the collector influence power.
Displacement affects what the optimun cross sectional area is for both the intake and exhaust of an engine. Also depends on what RPM you want peak torque to occur.

• Agree
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor