Stock transmission cooler hard line routing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michaelweez

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 15, 2016
Does anyone have a decent picture of how the hard lines for the transmission cooler are routed between the trans and the radiator? I had the engine disconnected from the frame mounts and while it was disconnected I removed the lines to clean them up...I buttoned the engine back down and now I can't remember how the lines were routed. 1984 305 El Camino.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
As long as the lines are not bent, whatever one fits is the right one. The top and bottom lines had different bends in them. If you have to bend them significant amount to make em fit, odds are the other one goes there.

Michaelweez

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 15, 2016
As long as the lines are not bent, whatever one fits is the right one. The top and bottom lines had different bends in them. If you have to bend them significant amount to make em fit, odds are the other one goes there.
Guess I should have been more specific, I know which goes top and bottom on both the trans and radiator...I just do not remember where they specifically ran...I am thinking that they tuck up against the block inside of the mounts but I just could not seem to snake them back in that way.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Guess I should have been more specific, I know which goes top and bottom on both the trans and radiator...I just do not remember where they specifically ran...I am thinking that they tuck up against the block inside of the mounts but I just could not seem to snake them back in that way.
Like I said, if they won't go in one way, try another. As long as they are clear of the exhaust or any moving parts, you can shove em anywhere. In my old thunderbird I said screw it, put a quick flare on both after I cut them down, put a house on and got two barbed fittings in the rad and two hose clamps on each end. Held up for months before I sold the car. I seldomly ever see them go in behind the motor mounts, and if they won't fit, they won't fit. Did you move them while the motor was raised up and moved them out of place?

Michaelweez

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 15, 2016
They were moved while I had the engine lifted up, was hoping someone knew for sure if they snaked up tight against the block of what but I guess I'll just keep trying.

ldr

Master Mechanic
Sep 16, 2016
Sarcoxie, MO
Mine are clipped in bracket along the oil pan. The bracket bolts to the pan rail with a pan bolt. The lines are against the engine inside of motor mount.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Yeah, they go inbetween the motor mounts and block in the bracket on the pan that ldr brought up. The only other way I've seen them is just routed out in the open.

Michaelweez

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 15, 2016
Mine are clipped in bracket along the oil pan. The bracket bolts to the pan rail with a pan bolt. The lines are against the engine inside of motor mount.

Thank you, exactly the information I was looking for.

Michaelweez

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 15, 2016
Just an update to close this thread out, I was able to snake both lines back between the block and engine mount from the front of the car by starting under the bumper pretty easily.

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor