Straight-Piped '85 Regal, will a tip make the exhaust sound better?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
You need some mufflers. Straight piped always sounds warbly.

Straight pipe very seldom sounds halfway decent. I mean, I think my regal sounds pretty neato,

But still needs more pipe.

Nov 4, 2012
My asswipe of a neighbor runs straight pipes on his clapped out fox body mustang. I can't tell you how much I enjoy hearing him zoom up and down the street at all hours of the night. :blam:

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Turbolq4

Royal Smart Person
Sep 25, 2017
Nampa Idaho
As hard as it is to admit to this..........Fords tend to sound better than Chevy's do with straight pipes.

Either way, put a muffler on it. The neighbors will appreciate it and the fuzz pays less attention to you.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
As hard as it is to admit to this..........Fords tend to sound better than Chevy's do with straight pipes.

Either way, put a muffler on it. The neighbors will appreciate it and the fuzz pays less attention to you.
The sbc sounds Ok, the Olds V8 sound amazing with glass packs. Olds V8 powered vehicles have that unique sound. Problem is, I have this thing called good hearing and quieter is better, to a certain extent. The guys with straight pipe 4 and 6 cylinder cars just sound awful.

Reactions: 1 users

street sweeper

Greasemonkey
Jun 12, 2017
Central Indiana
i have circle track boom tubes on my monte currently, it sounds awesome but is entirely too loud. I live in a condo so i dont want to do that to my neighbors by cold starting it in the morning. so i will be getting mufflers here hopefully next week. Plus i cant stand to drive the car because even at low rpm its obnoxious.

CaliWagon83

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2017
Orange County, CA
I put a Flowmaster on my 3.8, along with a 4-inch tip. The combination of the two gives it a nice, almost V-8-like burble at idle, but once you get going, it’s pretty clear it’s a V-6.

Flowmasters have a very distinct sound. Some people love them, some people hate them. If you’re running a NA engine, it’s fine, but if you’re doing a turbo, I wouldn’t recommend it, since it’s a baffled, chambered design that will probably impede exhaust flow. Frankly, a turbo is about the only time you can get away with going muffler-free, IMHO. You have to like the turbo “whistle” sound though.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
I put a Flowmaster on my 3.8, along with a 4-inch tip. The combination of the two gives it a nice, almost V-8-like burble at idle, but once you get going, it’s pretty clear it’s a V-6.

Flowmasters have a very distinct sound. Some people love them, some people hate them. If you’re running a NA engine, it’s fine, but if you’re doing a turbo, I wouldn’t recommend it, since it’s a baffled, chambered design that will probably impede exhaust flow. Frankly, a turbo is about the only time you can get away with going muffler-free, IMHO. You have to like the turbo “whistle” sound though.
Flowmasters are pretty poor flowing, but if one's engine doesn't flow that much to begin with, it probably isn't too much of an issue.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Turbolq4

Royal Smart Person
Sep 25, 2017
Nampa Idaho

I tried the straight pipes thing when I switched from 3" to 4". It sounds like a Powerstroke pulling a landscape trailer!! All you hear is turbine echoing off fences, guard rails, pedestrians, etc. I put the 3" muffler back on the end of the giant pipe. Whatever power loss it has is worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor