Straight plug heads or angle with hooker headers and retro roller cam want

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike buttafuoco

Apprentice
Sep 27, 2016
Carlisle, pa
I have been running solid rollers on the street for over 15 years, there are a lot of misconceptions out there based off of the old solid flat tappets that needed constant adjustment and race solid rollers that need splash lubrication and will fail on the street but now there are pressure feed roller lifters and these are needed when the cam size, spring pressure and RPM range exceed what a hydraulic roller can handle.
Now for a 400-450 horse small block Chevy a hydraulic roller is more than adequate and a cam/lifter kit can be bought for less than a good set of solid roller lifters but solid rollers do have their place on the street.
My point was this: from an enjoy ability standpoint, and a constant maintenance standpoint, hydraulic is the way to go. I ran and olds on the street years ago that had me under the hood Thursday to get it ready for Friday and then again Saturday morning for saturday night. Technology, metallurgy and oil has all changed since then so things have gotten way better. I just didn't want to see him chasing valve adjustments all the time, and then getting frustrated and getting out of the hobby. thats all. I don't know everything and don't claim to, I just do want these younger guys making the silly mistakes I made when I thought bigger was always better. It's not!

Mike buttafuoco

Apprentice
Sep 27, 2016
Carlisle, pa
Btw, saw a video on YouTube with your monte, AND I LOVE IT!!!!

Mike buttafuoco

Apprentice
Sep 27, 2016
Carlisle, pa
I also forgot to mention: you asked about angle plug versus straight. I personally have never paid attention to the power gain/loss over which is better. I always bought what would work, and what was cost effective. My suggestion is to choose a cylinder head, then choose your cam, then buy your headers to match your chassis and the type of heads(angle plug or straight) and then build from there. My car right now was not built by me so the headers I have I would never have chosen. And the heads are angle plug, they are a pain. But that's not the only reason. Just my final .02!

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
I have been running solid lifters for years (flat & roller) . I have found that they need no attention once they are set. I went from checking them after races and found they never change. What I do like if something changes - something is wrong.

IMG_4533_085.JPG

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Mike buttafuoco

Apprentice
Sep 27, 2016
Carlisle, pa
I have been running solid lifters for years (flat & roller) . I have found that they need no attention once they are set. I went from checking them after races and found they never change. What I do like if something changes - something is wrong.

View attachment 55541
As I said before, a lot has changed over the years with regard. That build I mentioned was more than 20 years ago. That was my my first and last time running a solid cam. I was planning on running one in my last build but a race car buddy of mine talked me out of it. Again, do what you want and what the budget allows. if your engine with regard, has been devoid of repeat lash adjustments, kudos to you! I never get that lucky, ever.

Opie Knievel

Rum Fueled Midnight Mechanic and Moderator
Sep 6, 2010
Brodhead, Kentucky
If you want to go with Vortec heads I found some that are already equipped with valve springs that will handle a high lift cam. They're iron and they only have 1.94, 1.50 valves but they should make the power you're aiming for. I'm thinking about getting a set myself. It sounds like you have the budget for aluminum heads though. Here they are, you can check them out.

http://sdparts.com/b-94018-sdpc.html#!sxq=Vortec heads

79malibu

Master Mechanic
Jul 30, 2007
south dakota
Quick update. Bought cast eagle 383 kit from competition products and dart shp 200 64cc heads and retro roller comp lifters and the 12-467-8 xfi cam. 230/236 .576 113* with block decked and 12cc dish should be about 10.2 comp. Now if machinist could finish already. What resistor plugs should i run with 14mm gasketed.750 reach? What heat range do you all use with pump gas and aluminum heads

Mike buttafuoco

Apprentice
Sep 27, 2016
Carlisle, pa
Quick update. Bought cast eagle 383 kit from competition products and dart shp 200 64cc heads and retro roller comp lifters and the 12-467-8 xfi cam. 230/236 .576 113* with block decked and 12cc dish should be about 10.2 comp. Now if machinist could finish already. What resistor plugs should i run with 14mm gasketed.750 reach? What heat range do you all use with pump gas and aluminum heads
My best advice would be to consult the head manufacturer for a recommendation. Then go from there. If u are going to use the car periodically, then u want a range hotter than what is recommended. But then again, I have been told to go a range or 2 colder on a street car. I don't necessarily agree with that because every car is different. I would also try competition products for a recommendation as well. That's my suggestion brother. Don't make the mistake I did. I bought a crap load of plugs and it was trial and error until the plugs that Brodix recommended was the best fit.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor