Stroking a 305

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldmansmonte

G-Body Guru
Oct 29, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Keeping the 305 is definitely not what I would do. But in the spirit of respecting your wishes, just rebuild the motor as is. Like other posters said, get rid of the mechanical fan, add headers, 2.25 inch mandrel bent exhaust. Between the freshening up of the motor and a few optimizing mods it should feel peppier. Also what rear gears do you have? Might have a huge opportunity to improve the car there.

CaliWagon83

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2017
Orange County, CA
Honestly, the only G-Bodies where a “numbers-matching” engine matters is maybe an ultra-low miles GNX, and maybe an Olds 442. Other than that, most of the factory engines were wheezy boat anchors.

I’m not going to have a bit of guilt about yanking out the 2-bbl 231 and replacing it with an LS3 when the time comes. Even if it had a factory V-8, I don’t think I’d feel much differently.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

DoubleV

Royal Smart Person
Feb 25, 2011
Medina Ohio
Damn. You guys are the reason there's hardly any unmolested gbodys out there anymore! Always telling people they need to 'upgrade' stuff because the factory stuff sucks. Fancy suspension parts, brakes, engine swaps, transmission swaps, gutting stuff, etc.

While I would 100% agree that stroking a 305 is over the line, it's not always about having the 'best' of everything available.
Nothing wrong with having a cool unmolested stock ( or minor upgraded ) Gbody. Easy to work on, easy to know what parts you need to fix stuff, gets tons of thumbs up at car cruises etc.

Now if you want REAL performance, then yes, you gotta unstockify your Gbody!

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Tiny bore=zing it to the moon!
(As long as it'll flow)
Well we already know a 305 SBC won't be doing any zinging now a 302 SBC is a whole nother story.

• Agree
Reactions: 4 users

ed1948

Royal Smart Person
Aug 6, 2016
Quinte West, Ontario
-......but, ---but, .....let's not forget the awesomeness of the 305 L69 :banana:in my '86 MCSS!!!!

1bad79

Royal Smart Person
Dec 3, 2011
Allendale mi
I personally wouldn’t waste time with a 305 but I you really want to keep it just freshening it up will help the power output,maybe a rear gear swap could help out also,a less restrictive catalytic converter and muffler may help as well

SRD art

G-Body Guru
Jun 16, 2011
St. George, UT
FWIW I started fixing up my 305 in my Cutlass wagon which had been rebuilt by the previous owner and had about 35,000 on it. I added a Crane 266 cam that had .440 lift, air gap dual plane intake, Edelbrock 600 carb, Pertronix HEI internals upgrade, headers and a single 3" exhaust. The lower torque output of the smaller engine was compounded by the crazy 2.41 gas mileage rear gears but it still ran ok, turning 15.90s @ 88 mph in the 1/4 mile at sea level, near 2 seconds faster than in stock form which was 17.70s at sea level. Remember, the 305 was a "performance" motor used in IROC Camaros to Monte's and for a small motor with lousy flowing parts it actually does ok with some slight upgrades. With stock heads it's really limited to just how much power it can make, the TPI intake, heads and cam really woke up the motor for the IROCS.

In comparison in high school I had a Nova that came from the factory with a 307 SBC. With similar upgrades and a set of freshened up camel hump heads with the factory 2.73 gears it was slower at 16.0 in the 1/4 because the 305 makes more torque than a 307. My guess is that's why GM went with that bore and stroke combo for the generic Chevy small cube motor. All of my performance builds have had 406 SBC's and one of those eventually replaced the 305 in my wagon. The 305 got about 21 mpg at 65 mph whereas the 406 with mildly ported factory 400 heads, a .510 lift cam that was a Comp XE268 with 1.6 rockers, and the same intake, exhaust system, and 2.41 gears ran 14.20s @ 97 mph in the 1/4 and got 18 mpg. Eventually I swapped in a 3.42 rear axle and it ran 13.60s in the 1/4. Cubic inches makes a big difference.

So, really a 305 isn't that bad of a motor, but... Another project I have is a 73 Nova restomod project with a lot of planned hidden upgrades. The car was originally a 350 2bbl./ 3 speed, but I've decided to clone the '73 "performance" 245 hp 350 with stickers, intake, carb, etc. Under all the stickers and orange paint will actually be a disguised 406 with the same 268 cam that was in the wagon. On the outside, unless someone looks at the harmonic balancer you would never know it isn't a 350. As others have said you can easily clone the 305 with a bigger motor under the blue paint and such. A rebuild will essentially cost the same and you'll end up with a bunch more torque and horse power even with mild parts, and if you decide to upgrade to even better parts down the road the power potential is even greater and less limited.

Good luck with the project!

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: 2 users

ed1948

Royal Smart Person
Aug 6, 2016
Quinte West, Ontario
SRD art - Good information you provided. I enjoyed reading your post.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
FWIW I started fixing up my 305 in my Cutlass wagon which had been rebuilt by the previous owner and had about 35,000 on it. I added a Crane 266 cam that had .440 lift, air gap dual plane intake, Edelbrock 600 carb, Pertronix HEI internals upgrade, headers and a single 3" exhaust. The lower torque output of the smaller engine was compounded by the crazy 2.41 gas mileage rear gears but it still ran ok, turning 15.90s @ 88 mph in the 1/4 mile at sea level, near 2 seconds faster than in stock form which was 17.70s at sea level. Remember, the 305 was a "performance" motor used in IROC Camaros to Monte's and for a small motor with lousy flowing parts it actually does ok with some slight upgrades. With stock heads it's really limited to just how much power it can make, the TPI intake, heads and cam really woke up the motor for the IROCS.

In comparison in high school I had a Nova that came from the factory with a 307 SBC. With similar upgrades and a set of freshened up camel hump heads with the factory 2.73 gears it was slower at 16.0 in the 1/4 because the 305 makes more torque than a 307. My guess is that's why GM went with that bore and stroke combo for the generic Chevy small cube motor. All of my performance builds have had 406 SBC's and one of those eventually replaced the 305 in my wagon. The 305 got about 21 mpg at 65 mph whereas the 406 with mildly ported factory 400 heads, a .510 lift cam that was a Comp XE268 with 1.6 rockers, and the same intake, exhaust system, and 2.41 gears ran 14.20s @ 97 mph in the 1/4 and got 18 mpg. Eventually I swapped in a 3.42 rear axle and it ran 13.60s in the 1/4. Cubic inches makes a big difference.

So, really a 305 isn't that bad of a motor, but... Another project I have is a 73 Nova restomod project with a lot of planned hidden upgrades. The car was originally a 350 2bbl./ 3 speed, but I've decided to clone the '73 "performance" 245 hp 350 with stickers, intake, carb, etc. Under all the stickers and orange paint will actually be a disguised 406 with the same 268 cam that was in the wagon. On the outside, unless someone looks at the harmonic balancer you would never know it isn't a 350. As others have said you can easily clone the 305 with a bigger motor under the blue paint and such. A rebuild will essentially cost the same and you'll end up with a bunch more torque and horse power even with mild parts, and if you decide to upgrade to even better parts down the road the power potential is even greater and less limited.

Good luck with the project!
I take the same road with my Oldsmobiles my 78 has 20k and the 260 is in the trunk of my parts car lol the 70 350 looks exactly the same under there and makes about 4x the power now my daughter's car is a different story it's a 79 H/O w-30 350 and it's going stay that way my 87 Cutlass I threw away the 307 and painted the 455 to look like one only an olds guy would know the difference really

Reactions: 1 users

bob64

G-Body Guru
Mar 30, 2017
Niagara Falls, Canada
I take the same road with my Oldsmobiles my 78 has 20k and the 260 is in the trunk of my parts car lol the 70 350 looks exactly the same under there and makes about 4x the power now my daughter's car is a different story it's a 79 H/O w-30 350 and it's going stay that way my 87 Cutlass I threw away the 307 and painted the 455 to look like one only an olds guy would know the difference really

I started laughing when l seem your last few words regarding 307 vs 455. 455 is a monster compared to a 307 or 350 olds block, you can almost tell the difference in how the frontend sits. Lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor