Strong rear end needed!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 66-67 Chevelle 12 bolt setup for a G-Body with a GM 4 series carrier and a 4:88 gear.I used it for about half a year at the track back in 91' in a streetable bracket car that only ran 8:60's in the 1/8 th mile (very,very mild motor).
At the time I put new Richmond gears,axle bearings.It also had Moroso gears,clutchs,springs installed in the unit.
It has all the brake hardware.
I would recommend new brake shoes and axle bearings since it's sat since 1994 with the wheels on the ground.

I live in Kentucky.I'm asking $950.00 for the rearend.

The 7.5 will do fine , don't let the "nay sayers" keep ya down . Ive seen cars in the 10's with 7.5's hell mines mid 11's. Unless your gonna nuetral drop it or due rollbacks with it, itll be just fine. Just build it right , hell youve seen my car at the track. Ive twisted the transmission output shaft and the driveshaft and the rear is still going strong. Everyone talks down on em. Ive ran mine 3yrs now and will continue to and when it goes for 50 bucks more ill put another 7.5 in it. To each his own as they say.

i have a 9" in my car and it took me about $1000 to do it with disc brakes. as mentioned you could probly get away with a beefed up 7.5 bigger badder axles maybe a spool C clip illimators biger studs. i dont know how much stuff is for the 7.5 but look around you might able to find some deals through speedway or some one

I've never had a problem with a 7.5" rear and think if built properly, will do the job. GM kept them in the F-body's up until their demise and they were making decent power.

The issue is cost. The same money that goes into a 7.5" rear to beef it up could also be used on a stronger rearend from the get go. Just depends on what you have laying around to work with.

M.Bailey said:
didnt all the f bodies come with 8.5s?

nope, the older ones (1981 and older) i believe had 8.2s which is very comparable to an 8.5. but 1982-2002 were all 7.5s. i have a customer with a 2001 SLP camaro that we put a wild drivetrain in that still has the 7.5. hasn't broken it yet, altough it doesn't get launched too hard. car has a built stock displacement LS6 with a procharger D1-SC at 15 lbs of boost. makes 740 hp to the tires on pump gas/methanol injection on et street radials with a 6 speed and still hasnt broken the 7.5 yet. im sure it won't last forever, but i guess if you don't abuse it, it'll hold up better than most would expect. proved me way wrong, I told him that it might break even on a highway pull.

it might break even on a highway pull

That would ruin your day :shock:

Jim

if you want to be cheap, you could go with a posi from f body camaros, firebirds, etc. They are 28 spline units so you would need some axels from a grand national. both will fit in your stock 7.5 and should give you some added strength over the 26 spline units. you figure 250 for moser axels and about 50-100 for a used posi and gears from an f body

84sbcregal23deg said:
M.Bailey said:
didnt all the f bodies come with 8.5s?

nope, the older ones (1981 and older) i believe had 8.2s which is very comparable to an 8.5. but 1982-2002 were all 7.5s. i have a customer with a 2001 SLP camaro that we put a wild drivetrain in that still has the 7.5. hasn't broken it yet, altough it doesn't get launched too hard. car has a built stock displacement LS6 with a procharger D1-SC at 15 lbs of boost. makes 740 hp to the tires on pump gas/methanol injection on et street radials with a 6 speed and still hasnt broken the 7.5 yet. im sure it won't last forever, but i guess if you don't abuse it, it'll hold up better than most would expect. proved me way wrong, I told him that it might break even on a highway pull.

Last year of the 8.2 was like 1970 you will find 8.5s in 2nd gen fbodys 1982-1985 had the 7.5 but were weak so they got the 7.625 or whatever and I've heard rumors of a borg warner 9 bolt rear end that was put into the iroc Z's and from google research I see this is true... But yes 7.5s can handle power well if taken care of and have proper upgrades!

I stand corrected. I raced my 7.5 into the mid 13s with no problem. The mini spool I had in it was toast but I think I set it up wrong to begin with

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor