Stuck harmonic balancer on tear down

Status
Not open for further replies.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
You could maybe try spraying some penetrating oil in the there.
I have had issues with that style puller having the threads bind on a tight balancer and also have had it chew into the the end of the crankshaft.
This is the style puller / installer I use, this one uses a roller bearing on the mounting plate that makes it smooth for removal and then you use it to press the balancer back on and it threads into the crank so there is no possibility of thread damage.
1602420409136.png

• Informative
Reactions: 6 users

shoedoos

Master Mechanic
Jul 3, 2012
.....and before you try again, place a sacrificial washer with a small ID inside the balancer snout so it takes the brunt of the damage when you wind that that thing in......I also second penetrating fluid and tapping the balancer as you work it off.....

Reactions: 1 user

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I always thread the crank bolt for in about 1/2 way and use the head of the bolt for the tool's pressure bolt..... :popcorn:

Reactions: 1 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Did you try hitting it with your purse?

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Did you try hitting it with your purse?

I did that once and it ripped open and flung my panty hose and tampons EVERYWHERE

OP - hit the balancer with a hammer when tension is on it . If you use *** an impact on that budget tool, then you'll strip the tool. Trust me.

• Haha
  • Agree
Reactions: 3 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor