Stupid Laws

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crossbreed

Greasemonkey
Sep 16, 2009
In Ohio it's illegal to do 45 in a 25. That's just stupid.

3XBrownCutty

Royal Smart Person
Mar 20, 2008
NW PA
^^ I'm guessing you got slammed for that one :lol:

cdg1984

G-Body Guru
Oct 18, 2009
Evansville IN
In indiana its illegal to do 50 in a school zone. In my defense, it was summer time and I forgot that this one school in town was year round.

montecarlo-ts

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 27, 2010
in daytona beach its illegal to sunbathe beside your car but legal to sunbathe infront of it

Minion1186

G-Body Guru
Apr 12, 2009
I'm in PA,the only one i found in my town is you can't run open headers,must have an exhaust system with mufflers past the doors.

mkiiisupra

Master Mechanic
Dec 28, 2008
Versailles, KY
In Kentucky, and this doesnt pertain to cars but does pertain to stupid laws, it is:

Legal: to beat your wife on Sundays as long as it is on the front steps of the court house

Illegal: to carry an icecream cone in your back pocket
(the reason this law exists is because people use to steal horses this way, they would put it in their back pocket and the
horse would follow them whereever)

Just a couple of the many stupid laws the Bluegrass State has.

Matman1490

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 5, 2010
Im an ohioian, living in SC..

In Ohio, to register a vehicle, you get the seller to sign and notarize his section of the old title and take that to the OBMV to get a temp tag, then drive on that to get the car inspected, (smogged, if your in one of the few counties that requires it) and sign a form stating i had insurance on the car.

You pay sales tax based on a percentage set by the county you live in of the sales price you pay for the car. Your tag fees depend on what kind of plates you get. (Passenger, truck, disabed, etc) You don't even think of setting foot on a public highway without tags on the car... doing so, can get you a hefty ticket and the car impounded.

---

Now on to SC. My last 4 cars were perchased in SC, and only one was bought from a dealer, who got the tag and title work done for me. I got a 'dealer' tag which was noithing more than a piece of laminated cardboard with the dealer name and address on it. Getting stopped meant you had to show proof of insurance, and show a bill of sale.

Temporary tags are seldom if ever issued...

When I bought my Malibu, I bought from a private seller in NC, who just happened to be a local cop. When I asked him about tags, he said, just go on, and take it easy, if anyone asks, just show em my bill of sale and my business card, you'll be fine... YEAH RIGHT...

Stopped at the SCDMV with the handwritten bill of sale which included date of sale, VIN number, miles, description, and name, address and phone number of both buyers seller and witness. was immediately turned away saying I needed the 'State Bill of sale" form filled out and notarized. Asked then for a temp tag, and they refused saying they couldnt do anything until the bill of sale was returned. a Sent that back to my sellers and waited 3 weeks for him to return it.

on the next trip with the notarized bill of sale form in hand, I drove my truck into town and left the malibu at the house... got to the SCDMV, and was told they needed the car there, so that they could do a 'VIN VALIDATION'. Went home, got the malibu, and drove back into town, only to get pulled over on the same block as the DMV for not having plates... When I explained what was going on, the cop laughed and explained it was a $237.50 ticket for not having plates... I said, well if you want people to not run without tags then stop making it so hard to get a car registered... He gave me a warning.

When I got back the the counter on this trip, now, they are starting to laugh at me, She askes me if I have paid sales tax on the car yet.. I say how can I pay sales taxes on something that isnt even in my name yet? I got turned away AGAIN and still no plates or title.

I get back in the malibu and dont make it a mile before i get pulled over again by another cop for the same reason, no tags.. he wastes another 20 minutes explaing to me thats just how things is done, and it aint up to him what happens but if i want to drive a car in this state I neeeds to pay taxes and gets tags, and I keep trying to tell him, that's all ive been trying to do... he warns me again, and lets me go...

I make it to county courthouse, and pay the taxes, without getting stopped, then back to the DMV which at this point, is about 30 minutes to close.. I barely get in the door when they are already locking up...

wow... After all of this, she finally smiles, charges me $187.50, for tags taxes and title feees, and gives me a new plate and sticker...

After all this, I still got pulled over on the way home, again by the first cop, "just to make sure" i had everything in order...

Man I hate south carolina...

83cutlassowner

Greasemonkey
Oct 4, 2009
yankton,sd
these are some laws from south dakota

No horses are allowed into Fountain Inn unless they are wearing pants.
It is illegal to lie down and fall asleep in a cheese factory.
Movies that show police officers being struck, beaten, or treated in an offensive manner are forbidden.
If there are more than 5 Native Americans on your property you may shoot them.
If three or more Indians are walking down the street together, they can be considered a war party and fired upon.

cdg1984

G-Body Guru
Oct 18, 2009
Evansville IN
83cutlassowner said:
these are some laws from south dakota

No horses are allowed into Fountain Inn unless they are wearing pants.
It is illegal to lie down and fall asleep in a cheese factory.
Movies that show police officers being struck, beaten, or treated in an offensive manner are forbidden.
If there are more than 5 Native Americans on your property you may shoot them.
If three or more Indians are walking down the street together, they can be considered a war party and fired upon.

Ahhh..good ol' fashioned opression.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor