Stupid question by stupid guy

Status
Not open for further replies.

hdpearson13

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 25, 2007
iraq
Whats the difference between a crate 350 4 bolt and these 355 with huge hp #s thanks

thebaron

Apprentice
Jul 11, 2006
The 350 is a small block chevy, but bit more heavy duty then a 2 bolt. Do you mean 455? The 455 is a buick "big block" engine and can be very expensive to upgrade. I have seen a W-30 Buick convertible with 455 that was running below 12s.

hdpearson13

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 25, 2007
iraq
No i have been looking around and it is a 355 i believe its an upgrade for stock 350 that that came in the 78-80 el camino ss gmc caberoo and the hurst and 442 but i just dont know what the difference is isee alot of people racing them and getting low 12s and one doing 10.55 but that was with a full out drag chasis. I am sitting in Iraq and just took up the car hobby and am tring to learn i just traded a drz dirt bike for a 80 el camino with a 4bolt 350. the only thing that sucks is that are computers are slow and extremly limited. i have a couple ideas for my camino so this is the best site i can get info from thanks everyone

ryanelco

Apprentice
May 9, 2007
355 is a 350 bored .30 over. small block chevys are great, and twelve second cars are not out of reach at all with these things. another popular modification is a 383 which is a 350 with a 400 crank as well as some machine work. between that, a decent set of heads and a cam and 4 bbl, i bet you will be suprised.

hdpearson13

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 25, 2007
iraq
i have figured whenthis gets worn out i would build a 383 but what would it take for me to do a 355 and how much would a cost est. be i was also wondering how to much i can get out of my crate i am having a set of 2.5 duals with crossover made but I dont know what all can do I know that my bike i can get new jugs,heads, cams, pistons and ignition and get about 40% more with the right parts but to do a 355 do i have to take the engine out and have it machined or can i get a set of heads and piston. Iwas also wondering how hard it is to change the cam is that something you also have to remove engine or can it stay in the car. I ve always had bikes and still havent put hands on my elky and wont for another few months cant wait wanna have a vehiclethe family can have fun in since my wife wont let my daughter ride in the saddle bags of the bike. thanks again

1980Gbody

Greasemonkey
Mar 17, 2007
Warren MI
if u wanna go with a 383 and u have a 355 already all u needa do is pull it strip the block and send it to a machine shop to get the mai n journals bored then get a 400 crank other tehn that theres alot u can do with a small block chevy heads, high compressing pisons, nice cam, intake manifold, headers pending how much u have to spend on it and wut your looking to get out of it and for wut kinda use its for street strip show so on but wiht a small block chevy your options are endless as long as u have the money

hdpearson13

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 25, 2007
iraq
so i take it is a bolt on kit then. wouldnt i need pistons also or does that work with stock pistons? thanks

I think it's just the top end, assuming that the bottom is complete with the 355. I don't think it even comes with a carb though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor