Stupid Rod And Main Bearing Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingcolbert83

G-Body Guru
Mar 26, 2008
If I order new standard size rods for a motor but the crank has been turned will the standard size rods not work? I ask because I am looking at some forged rods for a caddy 500 but they only offer standard size. I am not sure if the crank will need to be turned yet but just looking into things in advance.

CHRIS.O

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2011
MI
Your asking if you buy new rods for a turned crank will the rods work? Yes they will. You will just buy bearings for whatever undersize the main and rod journals have been turned to.

kingcolbert83

G-Body Guru
Mar 26, 2008
CHRIS.O said:
Your asking if you buy new rods for a turned crank will the rods work? Yes they will. You will just buy bearings for whatever undersize the main and rod journals have been turned to.

I was thinking that the rods would have to be resized or something. Im confused how a .010 bearing can work on a standard size rod.

AlanB

Greasemonkey
Jul 13, 2010
Trenton NJ area
The outer diameter of the bearing is the standard size and will fit into a standard rod end. The inner diameter of the bearing is smaller by .010 so that it fits the smaller rod journal. This means that the bearing itself will be a bit thicker than a standard sized bearing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor