Stupidest sh*t I've heard lately

Status
Not open for further replies.
jrm81bu said:
IMO=In My Opinion

I understand that but he would still be ahead with the better heads that are on the lt1. And the cost of putting a carb on it would be negated by the cost of improving the fuel system to handle efi. There is no wrong or right its gonna be a matter of how the guy wants to do it. But calling the guy an idiot for doing something that really won't matter is what is really Stupid!

The stock heads on the Impalas and Caprices' LT1s aren't that great. They're cast iron like any other factory SBC head. The Camaros, Firebirds, and Corvettes got the factory aluminum heads, but really the only gain was weight savings. Honestly, who puts stock heads on a stroker motor?

Qdub24 said:
jrm81bu said:
IMO=In My Opinion

I understand that but he would still be ahead with the better heads that are on the lt1. And the cost of putting a carb on it would be negated by the cost of improving the fuel system to handle efi. There is no wrong or right its gonna be a matter of how the guy wants to do it. But calling the guy an idiot for doing something that really won't matter is what is really Stupid!

The stock heads on the Impalas and Caprices' LT1s aren't that great. They're cast iron like any other factory SBC head. The Camaros, Firebirds, and Corvettes got the factory aluminum heads, but really the only gain was weight savings. Honestly, who puts stock heads on a stroker motor?

It's not just about cast iron vs. aluminum. Up until the Gen 1 Vortec head, the lt1 head was prolly the best flowing stock head. Not to mention the beneifts of the reverse cooling system. Now i'm not a big fan of lt1's myself, but losing the efi on one wouldn't be that big of deal.

But still, would you put stock heads on a stroker? I got 2 LT1's and I hate 'em. I'm building a 396 LT1 for my 96 Caprice and I definitely won't be using some stock heads.

That would depend on a lot of things. Those heads are already pretty good. Look at all the people that put 305 heads on their 350, a lot of them seem to be happy with it, although i still wouldn't. There is a least one builder(can't remember who) that specializes in lt1's. He builds crate lt1's up to 460hp(iirc) and still uses the stock heads with porting. But enough about the heads, you called him an idiot for wanting to put a carb on it, that's just a crock, just not called for.

WOW. I've gotten to the point where nothing on the internet suprises me.

i kinda agree he's not an idiot for wanting a carb........ i think the point he trying to make is why would he go blow a bunch of money on another engine when he could just build up the motor he has........ that kinda seems a little nuts to me..... but hell if he's throwin his money away i'll take some!

jrm81bu said:
That would depend on a lot of things. Those heads are already pretty good. Look at all the people that put 305 heads on their 350, a lot of them seem to be happy with it, although i still wouldn't. There is a least one builder(can't remember who) that specializes in lt1's. He builds crate lt1's up to 460hp(iirc) and still uses the stock heads with porting. But enough about the heads, you called him an idiot for wanting to put a carb on it, that's just a crock, just not called for.

He's already got a carb'd 350. That's just f%ckin' stupid! He gotta buy the motor, carb, intake, and LT1 stuff isn't cheap. I'm not saying that he's a stupid person, because he admitted that he isn't car savvy. However, what he is suggesting is stupid and if I were going to drop in another motor it would be an LS motor.

For a minute I thought I was in the Misk section of ISSF!

Some people can only learn for themselves, no sugestions, name calling will change their minds until they try out their ideas, sometimes those individuals will supprise us, at other times they end up with a Darwin award.

as for the debate of the LT1 vs older varients of the 350. IMHO one can get more HP and Torque out of an older style 350 for a lot less money less money than one can our of an LT1 for the same money. If you are on a tight budget go with the older 350, but if you have the money , then dump the LT1 and go for a LS7/T56 combo....

Sounds like this person doesn't really know what they want.

But they might actually want to drive their car while building a new engine. That would be the advantage over getting a second engine and building that up, while they can still bomb around with their old engine.

I don't know, just an idea.

HurstOlds said:
Sounds like this person doesn't really know what they want.

But they might actually want to drive their car while building a new engine. That would be the advantage over getting a second engine and building that up, while they can still bomb around with their old engine.

I don't know, just an idea.

Smart idea, but then I would just order a 383 4-bolt main block from Summit. He could buy that and build it for less than what he would spend on purchasing an LT1 and doing the stroker build.

I agree with everything buickestate said.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor