Summit intake manifold vs edy/weiand

Status
Not open for further replies.

78sik ick

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 3, 2012
I have a summit dual plane intake manifold on my 350 and am wondering if it would be worth the time and money to swap to a weiand or edelbrock. Anyone had any experiences between the 3. Just curious because the runners on the summit intake look small to me almost stock like.

What's wrong with the one that's on there now? Can't believe there's any power gain between the three.

I wouldnt think theres any more power to be had with a change. Edlebrock/Weiand might make the Summit manifold.

Doug

It won't make a difference unless other mods are made. If your worried about runners do a small port job. Or you can find sone good deals on Craigslist that are already moddified.

it looks like before the guy sold it to me he just threw on a cheap intake and carb because the rest of the motor looks like no expenses were spared, arp studs and bolts on everything.... he says the motor made near 500hp on a engine dyno and it pulls super hard. the car has a 3500 stall, would i be better off with a single plane?

78sik ick said:
it looks like before the guy sold it to me he just threw on a cheap intake and carb because the rest of the motor looks like no expenses were spared, arp studs and bolts on everything.... he says the motor made near 500hp on a engine dyno and it pulls super hard. the car has a 3500 stall, would i be better off with a single plane?

A dual plane manifold make more power from idle to about 5500 RPM and a single plane makes more power from 4500 to 7500 RPM depending on the manifold.

Doug

after i switched out the 600cfm for a 750 dp it pulls hard from like 3500,4000 to about 6700 to 6800 but from what i understand could be limited by the manifold. the carb swap was night and day, just wondering if the intake is still holding t back some too.

If the engine really did make 500 horse than most likely it was done with a single plane intake and with a 3500 stall your are well above where a dual plane starts making power which is generally around 1500 rpm.
I would say if the carb change made a big difference then the dual plane is probably holding you back plus most dual planes top out from 5500 to 6500 depending on brand and design.

thanks for all the input, was thinking about added a intake to the christmas list lol. know of any single planes that are better than others?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor