Summit maybe not such a great company.

Status
Not open for further replies.

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
I can see where it would be hard to camouflage a combat weapon that has yellow and red warning stickers all over it.

The fact we have to wear hi-vis vests in the field for non-tactical situations involving vehicles is... umm... interesting. Oh and the PT belts really make you feel and look like a badass.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

Kennybill

Master Mechanic
Mar 17, 2010
Braceville, Ohio
I work in Unionized steel mills for 43.5 years. Ohio has been a "right to work" state as long as I've been alive. You should go to a State labor relations board. Working in a union shop gives both the employee and the company "set" work rules. This is good for both employee and the company (imo). Employees know the rules and a lot would push it to the limit. Such as absenteeism, work duties etc. When they'd push it over the limit and get fired, then the union would do anything to get their jobs back and that usually meant throwing out guaranteed winner grievances, such as someone getting overlooked for overtime etc. The company would give the fired person another and in most cases they'd get in hot water again. In my experience, 99% of problems were caused by 3% of the workers. I was a union steward for a couple of years. If you won the grievances, you were just doing your job as a steward, if the grievance was lost it was your fault, not the drunken drug addict useless worker's fault. One lazy sob that had multiple personal/women problems got wrote up "again" for absenteeism and was getting one day off. He came bitching to me about it. I said your all the time missing work, what's another day? He said, "because it's not the day I want off." I went and saw the boss. I said, "I see your giving Pheasant (his nickname) a day off."
He said, "he's lucky I don't fire his *ss!"
I said "if you want to punish him make him come to work, he's bragging about he doesn't have to come to work."
He thought a second, "you know what, tell him I'm cancelling that day off and he better be on time!" I said, "I'll tell him, boy, will he be bitching."
Win win, boss thought making him work was punishment, Pheasant was happy because didn't have to have a day off during the week. Oh yes, he was fired after failing another drug test when he was on a "last chance probation." They made him and another "bookend" worker with a surprise drug test after a 4th of July weekend.
Actually in Ohio non-union employees have a better chance of getting their jobs back because there's no "set in stone" work rules like a union shop.
Mostly all you have to say is you were talking about getting a union and somehow they found out about it.

jiho

Royal Smart Person
Jul 26, 2013
talking unions is paramount to talking politics, I find unions/politicians useless and corrupt but many will disagree with me and to carry on the discussion is pointless....:coffee:

I'll agree with that, and add similar about Wall Street.

But if the discussion is pointless, why the coffee? :mrgreen:

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
  • Agree

jiho

Royal Smart Person
Jul 26, 2013
  • Agree

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Here's a story where being a veteran paid off. I was the shop steward at the time when a boss-blowing wanabee got sent back to the craft. He was trying to get into management and had stupidly told the truth about a situation. They bounced him out and he was furious. He popped off on the workroom floor and started in with me. A real boss intervened and he shoved her which resulted in both of us being put into an emergency suspension and barred from the workplace. Being a veteran on a Federal job I was kept in a pay status while he was not. After about a week of this he was crying blue murder that his kids were starving. I was enjoying my time off because my son-in-law was home on leave from Iraq. When they came to re-instate me I said I had not learned my lesson and needed more punishment. :rofl: But they ordered me back. So back at work the first thing I did was walk up to him, extend my hand, and said let's shake and stop the BS. The union is not your enemy. We shook hands, went back to being friends, and down the line he became a shop steward.

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor