Summit rear end gears?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cashmoneyspeed, I don't imagine you drive that car far & at speed. Like 80 mph on the interstate to the next large city. Despite the mild cam stock stall and short tires a 3.08, 3.23 or even 3.42 will really help get that thing get away from a light and up to speed quickly. If you spend much time at highway speed you will like the 3.08 or 3.23 better.

pontiacgp said:
with all that extra weight are still looking for performance?

Performance as in speed? No. Car is a built lowrider mostly low n slow cruising. No burnouts, racing, etc. I just dont want it to be even more of a slug from a stop than it was before the new frame and 2 added batteries. Engine cooling is also a concern on hot summer days and cruising around in city traffic.

dogshit said:
Cashmoneyspeed, I don't imagine you drive that car far & at speed. Like 80 mph on the interstate to the next large city. Despite the mild cam stock stall and short tires a 3.08, 3.23 or even 3.42 will really help get that thing get away from a light and up to speed quickly. If you spend much time at highway speed you will like the 3.08 or 3.23 better.

Actually a lot of the miles I put on are on the highway. Speed limits are usually 55 here so she cruises just fine with traffic at 60-65. Also good in the 85 mph range but haven't taken it past that and don't see a need to. I'm leaning towards the 3.08 since that's more of the middle ground between what I have and 3.42's. I've got 3.08's in my caprice, just wish I could use those so it would push me to finally install some 3.73's I picked up awhile back.

Anyone have any suggestions on brands to stay away from? I'd like to order from summit since I've for another list of stuff to order.

Alright well I've decided on the 3.08 gears. So I need to order the ring and pinion gear and what else? Planning on just using stock axles but do I need a new carrier also? Rear is a 10 bolt 7.5"

cashmoneyspeed said:
Alright well I've decided on the 3.08 gears. So I need to order the ring and pinion gear and what else? Planning on just using stock axles but do I need a new carrier also? Rear is a 10 bolt 7.5"

Anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor