supercharger on an olds 403

Status
Not open for further replies.

dan2286

Royal Smart Person
Mar 25, 2008
Cleveland, Ohio
jonnyslick said:
Yeah I've never been a fan of driveline/suspension/engine parts sticking out of the cars bodylines.

I might have seen one you might like. A Geo Metro changed to rear wheel drive, and a blower sticking out the hood!

custom442

Royal Smart Person
Jul 4, 2008
Houston
84regal403 said:
how would you go about putting a supercharger on a olds 403?

Find a machine shop who isn't going to mess you over. You would have to start bottom up, it would be very expensive. And that isn't with the supercharger even added. Something like that would probably have to be blue printed to match everything, big $. Would guess 7/8,000$ at least, unless you did the work yourself and find someone who's done it and copy.

eddieb1969

Apprentice
Jul 5, 2008
Fort Payne , Alabama
Nah , this particular olds was a readers car (70's cutlass) that was using chassis dyno time to tune . They found all sorts of problems but sorted them out . It to me didnt net numbers like i thought a blown big block should , but definitely more power than i have . I wouldnt thrown it out by no means .....

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
The Olds 403 does not have the best reputation for block strength, so I would be hesitant about trying to build serious power with one. If it were my money, I would build a different Olds V8 if your desire is to use forced induction. A 403 is fine in a mild street car, but cross the line and you may get burned. The strongest SBO block is probably the 350 Diesel block from the 80's. It has significantly more webbing than gas engines due to the extreme pressures required for spontaneous combustion. You can run one in a gas engine by blocking off the injection pump boss and running gas heads instead of diesel. I AM NOT an Olds Expert, nor have I ever run an Olds engine. I am just posting what I know to give you some ideas as to where to direct your research.

As for the blower, try The Supercharger Store out of Arizona as I think they offer oddball engine kits.

dan2286

Royal Smart Person
Mar 25, 2008
Cleveland, Ohio
85 Cutlass Brougham said:
The Olds 403 does not have the best reputation for block strength, so I would be hesitant about trying to build serious power with one. If it were my money, I would build a different Olds V8 if your desire is to use forced induction. A 403 is fine in a mild street car, but cross the line and you may get burned. The strongest SBO block is probably the 350 Diesel block from the 80's. It has significantly more webbing than gas engines due to the extreme pressures required for spontaneous combustion. You can run one in a gas engine by blocking off the injection pump boss and running gas heads instead of diesel. I AM NOT an Olds Expert, nor have I ever run an Olds engine. I am just posting what I know to give you some ideas as to where to direct your research.

As for the blower, try The Supercharger Store out of Arizona as I think they offer oddball engine kits.

He is right, the 403 is not known for its strength. The diesel would be a great choice but can get kinda pricey. I think you would be fine with an earlier 350 block. They had solid webbing and a high iron content. You would probably want to go with lower compression pistons/heads if using forced induction. I would think those earlier 350's should be able to handle around 6-7 psi of boost, as long as it is not reved high.

custom442

Royal Smart Person
Jul 4, 2008
Houston
Just curious - do you have the engine and are wanting to rebuild it? Or is the car something you want only olds power in?

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
A 73 to 76 Olds 350 in good running shape would be good and affordable. Decent flowing heads and a strong bottom end. It has around 8.2 to 1 with factory shim gaskets. Switching to either Cortecos(.028) or felpros(.039) you can lower the compression a bit more. Add headers, a better cam and timing set and don't push it too hard and it will perform. The 77-80 350 has a weak bottom end and crappier heads. The window motors take more than people think, good balance and light parts help alot. A super/turbo charger is that much harder on a questionable worn out engine. Don't over look turbos either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor