Supercharger question

Status
Not open for further replies.

LukeZ

G-Body Guru
Apr 24, 2015
Delaware
Just a mechanical question. Sorry if it's dumb.

So a basic supercharger sits on top of the intake, and forces air down into the engine. And they typically draw air from either on top of or behind the supercharger.

I saw a Thunderbird 3.8 supercharger, and it looks to me like it had 2 air inlets? Here's some pictures.

IMG_2835.JPG
IMG_2839.JPG

I was just looking for some clarification. The thing coming off the back and the thing sitting on top: are both of those air inlets? I couldnt find much info anywhere else.

Here's a pic of an M90 (from a T-bird) without the thing on the back:
IMG_2837.JPG

So either air is coming out of those holes, or it's going in.

Also (I didn't want to make 2 threads because this question is related), I found this on Classic Oldsmobile, in a discussion about remote mounted superchargers. What is going on with this thing? The carb hat is connected straight to the top of the supercharger. I thought superchargers blew air out from the bottom, not the top (unless they can spin in reverse and force air the opposite way?). I assume he has that red air filter connected to the bottom of the supercharger.
IMG_2838.jpg

Last edited:

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
The supercharger is just an air pump with an inlet and an outlet. Orientation doesn't really matter, rotational direction definitely does. The T-bird unit pulls air in from the back and forces it up through the top; flip it over and it will force the air down.

I am guessing this is just a point of curiosity about function, and you aren't planning to use that dinky blower on something - right?

Last edited:

LukeZ

G-Body Guru
Apr 24, 2015
Delaware
The supercharger is just an air pump with an inlet and an outlet. Orientation doesn't really matter, rotational direction definitely does. The T-bird unit pulls air in from the back and forces it up through the top; flip it over and it will for the air down.

I am guessing this is just a point of curiosity about function, and you aren't planning to use that dinky blower on something - right?
I only said "forces air down into the engine" because most people have superchargers right side up on top of the intake. I just don't want you to think I'm simple haha.

So you're saying that the T-bird M90 pulls air from that apparatus on the back of it and forces it through the box on top that says "3.8"? I thought typical Eaton M90s had a square hole on the bottom that the air was forced through, like this ->
29fuukn.jpg

And yes, this is curiosity. Those pictures are from the internet, I don't have a supercharger lying around.

LukeZ

G-Body Guru
Apr 24, 2015
Delaware
Wait... I think the M90s on T-birds put on 'upside-down', if you know what I'm trying to say? So that hole on the bottom that I am talking about is actually facing upwards, and has the "3.8" box covering it. If you look at an M90 thats right side up on like a Buick or somehting, the pulley arm thing sticks out on the right side (if youre looking from the front of the car). On the T-birds, its on the left, implying that its 'upside down'. Answered my own question. Thanks tho

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Best I can tell it is the T-bird unit does push the compressed air up into the "3.8" hat, in the charge tube, down to the intercooler, and then all the way back into the intake. Yup, sounds just like a Ford. ;)

My Procharger does the same basic thing, only the throttle body isn't on the supercharger housing - it is still on the intake.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
That mess on the 'bu looks like something cobbled together with spare parts. Kinda looks FWD 3.8 supercharger to me. Bolt on kits were pretty popular in the 90's / 2000's with companies like Paxton and Procharger making boost with carbureted engines. Hood clearance was/is a big factor

Link below to what a "proper" setup should look like.

http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1812709

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
I am now feeling really sad about the fact that my TBSS has been busted since early Oct 16. FML.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Roots Style sit in place of the intake, with carbs on top (sometimes). Centrifugal look like belt driven turbos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor