Suspension Upgrade Ideas

Status
Not open for further replies.

trindor

n00b
Aug 12, 2006
Looking for suspension upgrades. Or more importantly recommendations. I'd rather not brake the bank if I don't have to. I have a series of junk yards around me and don't mind spending Sunday afternoon digging if I know what to look for.

I have a 78 Cutlass and the front end in it's entirety is going to be replaced. So I figured if I have to do this much, I may as well improve if possible. I don't care about originality so much as I care about dependability and functionality. Any ideas are welcome as I am just learning. Or directions to go for research are fine too. Unfortunately I can't go hang at machine or sport shops due to my schedule, but @ 3AM I am more than happy to do the extra work necessary in learning.

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
If you're going to upgrade, and you want to stay on a budget, then I would suggest that you check your local wrecking yards for a wrecked mid '80s Monte SS, Olds 442 or Hurst car, or Buick GN. I would try to obtain the steering box, front & rear sway bars, the 2 front frame reinforcement bars, and the front spindles, wheel bearings and brake rotors. Your '78 Cutlass has smaller front wheel bearings & spindles than later A/G body cars, so getting the later spindles & bearings is a good idea. From there, you can make other changes & upgrades, but IMHO, that's a good place for you to start. If there are any worn suspension or steering parts, such as ball joints, tie rod ends, idler arm, etc, they should be replaced during your upgrades. Hope this helps.

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
A couple of other things that I remembered. If you use a newer G body steering box in your '78, you'll have to possibly grab the pump & hoses from the donor car as well. GM changed the fittings on the power steering hydraulic hoses in 1981 or thereabouts from a double flare type end on the earlier cars to an O ring type seal end on the later cars. Also, they went from SAE threads on the wheel studs to metric threads in either '81 or '82, so if you go with the later front brake rotors, be aware of this change. I'm not sure if you can retrofit the SAE studs into the newer rotors or not. Maybe another member here can help to clear up this issue. Sorry I forgot this earlier.

85t5mcss

Master Mechanic
Apr 24, 2006
Indy, IN
IIRC the front studs r interchangeable. But not the rears. And good idea on the P/S Pump, hoses and gear box. Definitely will help turning feel, go ahead and lower it with dprings or spindles while u r at it. Better handling with a minimal investment. Intrax springs r 1.5" front drop/1.2" rear drop for about $200. Brace the frame in a few places too. Underhood from cowl to core support factory braces r good enough, front frame horn to engine cradle, front frame horn to frame horn, rear frame horn to frame horn.

ONE EYE

Greasemonkey
Aug 24, 2006
in front of the computer...
i wouldnt worry too much on the power steering lines.
when i put the '97 vortec 350 in my '79 malibu i used all the vortec accesories, including the '97 power steering pump. my lines fit on, they just ran in an odd looking way (you have to contort them somewhat like a pretzel) lol

i sold the malibu and now have that same setup in my '81 El Camino. works mint. i can prob get you some pics if you need them.

gman

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 3, 2006
Winnipeg
suspension ungrade ideas.

Easiest and cheapest way to upgrade suspension is polyurethane bushings in place of stock. Better shocks like Edelbrock EIS. F41 stabilizer bars. Spend a little more money, aftermarket springs and A arms. Interchanging GM parts from the wrecker dosn't really upgrade much. Maybe quicker steering by changing the steering box but still the same ride. Handling is improved by going aftermarket.

85t5mcss

Master Mechanic
Apr 24, 2006
Indy, IN
Bill, I agree. I've got the C5 spindles and arms along with the adj UCA and man, what a difference. I waited about 4 months to get them due to backorder and plating probs, but it was worth it.

Bill Howell

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 21, 2005
Pigeon Forge, Tn
85t5mcss said:
Bill, I agree. I've got the C5 spindles and arms along with the adj UCA and man, what a difference. I waited about 4 months to get them due to backorder and plating probs, but it was worth it.

I waited on the connecting pieces that were being coated, but by the time I got them, I was just about through with the rest of the project. What did you set your camber on? Just curious. My car absolutely is a different car now, just like it is on rails.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor