Swapping a 307 for a SBC...the myths and the truths.

Status
Not open for further replies.

KevinB

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 11, 2006
Cincinnati, Ohio
Well I am just finishing up swapping the 307 in my '86 Cutlass for a SBC.

I did a little research first and found out alot of misinformation. I am going to lay out my swap and how it turned out. Currently I am just waiting for a friend of mine to finish up some welds on my transmission crossmember for the dual exhaust.

Motor mounts:
First thing I did was pulled the 307. I had to remove the Olds mounts on the frame and install the Chevy clamshells. This can be done without removing suspension parts. The Chevy mounts will only use 3 of the 4 holes. The trick is to use the slots where the fuel lines come out of the frame. You can stick a wrench in there and get the 2 top bolts/nuts in the Chevy mounts. The bottom bolt/nut is easy to do.

Fuel lines: Next thing is the fact that the Olds 307 and the SBC have the fuel pumps on the same side. So, hooking up the the fuel lines is a no brainer.

Steering box: I have heard people say that you have to swap out the steering box for this swap. That is total BS. I had no problems there.

The starters/ batteries: On both engines, the starters are on opposite sides. Not a hard problem to fix. I lengthened the wires on the stock harness. I used solder and shrink wrap for good weather-proof connections. Also, changing the battery location is a good idea. That is not hard b/c both inner fender wells have locations for the battery.

Other wiring: I cut all the wires to the sensors that are not going to be used. I kept the power wire for the dist. Also kept the wire for the tach. I was able to reuse the temp sending unit and it's wire so the factory temp gauge in the dash still works. I did the same for the oil sending unit and wiring. I kept all the a/c wiring (I will get into this below), cruise wiring, and the transmission wiring. It takes a little effort to cut the right wires and keep the correct ones. I am by no means a genious when it comes to this stuff, so I think anyone attempting this swap can do it. In the end, I kept the stock ECM in place to control the a/c, transmission lock-up and cruise.

Engine brackets:I used a complete set off an '88 TPI engine from a Camaro. It worked great! I used the alt, p/s pump, and a/c. The beauty of these brackets is that it puts the a/c comp. in the same location that the 307 did! I was able to use all the 307 hoses. For the p/s pump, I even used the hoses that were from the Camaro I got the stuff from. Also, this setup uses one serp belt. I used an electric radiator fan instaed of a clutch or flex fan.

Headers and exhaust:
For this I used the Hooker headers from Summit. I think they were about $150. I also used the Summit 2 1/2" header back kit ($189 w/mufflers). The headers were easy, the exhaust needed alot of trimming to make it fit. I am using the stock transmission xmember with a notch to clear the exhaust on the driver's side.

I will post some pics tomarrow if I can. If you have any questions or comments....post'em up. Please no comments about putting the SBC in an OLDS. It's my car and I have wanted this combo for sometime.

betsy84

Greasemonkey
Nov 27, 2005
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
OMG A CHEV IN YOUR OLDS! SACRALIGE! just kidding, I got a 305 in my Cutlass, and if I go bigger, I'll be going Chev too. Dont listen to the guys on Oldspower lol, theyre just afriad to say something now thats not "olds". Heck, once my 305 goes, I cant wait to drop a stroked SBC in it. Good work, excited for pics, possibly...... vid/sound clip?
-Chris

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
I'm interested in seeing the pics. I'm curious to see the serpentine belt setup and electric fan, as I've been contemplating a similiar change for awhile.

KevinB

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 11, 2006
Cincinnati, Ohio
I'll take some tomarrow. I just got home from work and it's dark. I like the serp belt set up.

Betsy84, I never knew yours had a Chevy in it 8)

PropKat44

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 28, 2006
Glenville, NY
Did it in my regal w/ no probs, moving the mounts was simple after I found the proper locations

85_SS

G-Body Guru
Nov 6, 2005
Ontario, Canada
KevinB said:
I'll take some tomarrow. I just got home from work and it's dark. I like the serp belt set up.

Betsy84, I never knew yours had a Chevy in it 8)

I could be wrong, but his is probably factory being Canadian - most Canadian Cutlass' were 305 sbc cars. My parent's 87 is as well. Some hardcore Olds guys will even suggest that you should "fix GM's mistake" and swap an Olds into it. Yet if there is a factory Buick 3.8L in an Olds it is fine and they will help them out no problem. Most of them are good, but some of the Olds guys are pretty idiotic.

They claim you should never swap an Olds for a Chevy because it is so much work and added cost, but if you have a factory sbc car that you should swap in an Olds. Where is the logic there? A factory sbc car would most certainly upgrade to a 350 or 383 sbc in my book.

PropKat44

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 28, 2006
Glenville, NY

KevinB

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 11, 2006
Cincinnati, Ohio
I have put about 500 trouble free miles on it so far. This car is fun to drive. The exhaust sounds good and the transmission shifts hard :D From the seat of my paints feel, I bet it would run low 15's. Better than the 18's the 307 would do.

Some pics:
100_0765Large.jpg

100_0764Large.jpg

PropKat44

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 28, 2006
Glenville, NY
Nice and clean... mine is comming together almost exactly the same exept I killed the AC and I painted the block I hope mine comes out half as good looking as that!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor