Swapping early 90s truck serpentine front drive system to G body?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
The PS pumps did not change in this era - they use the same hoses ends since 1981, so as long as the steering box is 81 and later, use the hoses from an 80s Monte Carlo.

Toby Arnot

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 27, 2015
Fort Mill, S.C.
So how bout the power steering hoses and AC electrical. My car originally had the long and heavy AC compressor. I have a reman skinny one from a mid 80s Chevy truck. I want working AC
I will admit, I'm not an expert. Only done the one on my truck. I was able to remove the old pump from the P/O used. I removed the pressure relief valve from the Serp. pump and install the valve and existing hose. Don't know if all the pumps are interchangeable, but it worked for me.
I bought a complete take-off system, which included a P/S pump, R4 compressor, & alternator with all the pulleys, brackets, r/r fan and clutch.. No belt, no water pump. Went to Advance Auto and bought water pump for a 1995 Chevy truck. Made sure it was reverse rotation for serpentine system. Also bought a new tension idler pulley. I installed it all myself in a day. Found alternator hookup on Truck site (67-72 truck.com) in the electrical forum. A poster there "VetteVet" is an electrical guru. Check him out. I was able to very simply convert my old external regulator wiring to the take-off alternator. My truck A/C had been converted to 134, but with some advice from an A/C expert, I flushed the R4 (round) compressor and with some minor hose shortening, worked well. The compressor was noisy at lo-speed (it was a take-off after all). Later I replaced it with a Vintage Air bracket and a new Sanden compressor.
O.K.,I'm long winded!!!

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
Later I replaced it with a Vintage Air bracket and a new Sanden compressor.
O.K.,I'm long winded!!!

More wind on the Sanden pump installation.

Toby Arnot

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 27, 2015
Fort Mill, S.C.
Vintage Air has a bracket kit to install a serp.belt drive Sanden compressor to the GM serp. brackets. My brackets were cast aluminum, (I think some may have been steel. With some help from Vintage, I was able to order the pump with the best outlet/inlet direction for me. Had to shorten and re-crimp the hoses and change to a slightly longer belt. Works well and is quiet!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 429
Last edited:

Kelly Mckeever

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 3, 2015
San Bernardino,CA
View attachment 42583 Vintage Air has a bracket kit to install a serp.belt drive Sanden compressor to the GM serp. brackets. My brackets were cast aluminum, (I think some may have been steel?) With View attachment 42583 help from Vintage, I was able to order the pump with the best outlet/inlet direction for me. Had to shorten and re-crimp the hoses and change to a slightly longer belt. Works well and is quiet!
Thats the one I used on my 69 Caprice works great

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
Here are two snaps of my serpentine setup. From a 1991 Chevy Caprice. This is installed on the front of a Chevy 400 with S/R Torquer heads. I picked up a pigtail from Painless via Summit (http://www.summitracing.com/parts/prf-30707/overview/) to adapt the alternator. Flowkool reverse flow high-capacity iron water pump. The steering box is used, from a 1989 IROC Camaro. Used Camaro rebuilt PS pump and hoses. Picked up a pulley removal and installation tool from Harbor Freight, but you could borrow one from the parts store. Had to search a little to find the return tube - Rockauto.com provided an external cooling return hard line. http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=984187&cc=1035717&jnid=492&jpid=0

Attachments

• DSCN5014.JPG
    DSCN5014.JPG
    349.2 KB · Views: 403
  • DSCN5012.JPG
    DSCN5012.JPG
    390.3 KB · Views: 573

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
[/QUOTE=Had to shorten and re-crimp the hoses and change to a slightly longer belt. Works well and is quiet![/QUOTE]

Did you find a shop that made the crimps for you, or did you do this yourself?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor