Swapping suspension

Status
Not open for further replies.

SupremeSpeed

G-Body Guru
Sep 29, 2016
GA
Hi, guys! I'm in the process of swapping the stock suspension on my 88 Cutlass Supreme Classic to the F42 suspension. I have the big front sway bar, and a smaller rear bar for the rear. The front comes with the mounting brackets and the rear did not. Has anyone done this swap, and if so, what do I need. I looked at the rear and a few other options and I come up with what I think I will need. For the rear, I have after- market control arms, but they are adjustable tubular, and I think I will need to get an extended or adjustable box set. What will need to be adjusted for the thicker bar to fit. Again I have the mounts but will I need shorter spacers? I'm not sure what the part is called that it bolts to. I'm referring to the bar with bushings on both ends. Someone please help.

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
The rear one bolts directly into each rear control arm. If your new bar and arms have the same pair of holes on each side, you bolt it in same as OEM. Unlike the front bar, there are no frame supports. If your bar is aftermarket and does not bolt onto the OEM locations, did it come with a mounting kit that clamps to the axle?

It's hard to see in the photo, but the bar ends bolt to each lower control arm, even on the aftermarket Hotchkis arms I am using.

Attachments

• DSC_3400.JPG
    DSC_3400.JPG
    157 KB · Views: 120

SupremeSpeed

G-Body Guru
Sep 29, 2016
GA
The rear one bolts directly into each rear control arm. If your new bar and arms have the same pair of holes on each side, you bolt it in same as OEM. Unlike the front bar, there are no frame supports. If your bar is aftermarket and does not bolt onto the OEM locations, did it come with a mounting kit that clamps to the axle?

It's hard to see in the photo, but the bar ends bolt to each lower control arm, even on the aftermarket Hotchkis arms I am using.
Yeah I'm going to have to get a mounting bracket kit to clamp to the axle.

In that case it seems that I will need the mounting kit that clamps to the axle. I do have the stock control arms but not sure if they will work with the lift. So the clamps seem like the way to go. 20170402_155353.jpg

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
Can you post a photo of your new rear bar? It looks like you are lifting for 22s or 24s. You might end up with end links like the front bar - tie them into the frame rails. The engineering challenge is to not have the bar ends sticking out like polka-dot boxer shorts with the lifted body.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor