Switch pitch conversion kit for TH400?

Status
Not open for further replies.

G-Body_Vet

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 15, 2010
Anyone know if anybody still offers these kits for the TH400? I did a little searching and the few places that did aren't around anymore, or changed over to Ford products. Either that or I just didn't look hard enough. Thanks.

Randy_W

G-Body Guru
Oct 16, 2005
Eastern Shore
You should be able to buy a switch pitch converter since they were oem on a bunch of Buicks.

G-Body_Vet

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 15, 2010
It's not so much the converter, but the other parts for conversion. I can think of two companies that used to sell them but aren't around anymore....I must be getting old.

85GPLef41

Royal Smart Person
Nov 14, 2008
Colorado
Why do you want to to that conversion? I think i read somewhere that they weren't very desirable for performance....

anakputa

Master Mechanic
Nov 27, 2009
thats real old stuff, the switch pitch converter. I think the trans needed a major conversion, converter, valve body, pump and input shaft. I think you would probably be better putting in a trans brake..

G-Body_Vet

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 15, 2010
85GPLef41 said:
Why do you want to to that conversion? I think i read somewhere that they weren't very desirable for performance....

I'm still debating which trans I want to run so I'm looking into what's the best bang for the buck. The SP set-up goes hand in hand with the old Q-jet sayings as being junk. When transmission builders didn't understand them, or when torque converters were too expensive at the time; people simply wrote them off for one reason or another and converted them to standard stall.

Now...the upside to the TH400 is that it's the cheapest and strongest of my options without shelling out a ton of money. The SP set-up will allow me to compensate for a high rear end gear, yet still have good highway manners by having the variable pitch. There's the advantage of running a converter with 1800 and 2800 stall (or whatever you want to have built).

Since I'm going for low end grunt and running a tall gear there's no need for an expensive OD trans.

I was kicking around TH350's too, but I need to buy a few expensive parts for it to live.

Either way, I'm weighing options and pricing at the moment.

jrm81bu

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 9, 2008
Antwerp, OH
I don't think I would bother with the switch pitch. On my last Malibu I was quite happy with my 2.41 gears, th350, and 2500 stall. Of course the 500-550lb-ft made it possible.

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
there was an article awhile back, in CHP i believe, about the switch pitch system. it was the trans ans VB, expensive as hell, but very good. but since you seem to be going for less expensive, i think you're better off with an OD trans.

joe_padavano

Royal Smart Person
Sep 13, 2006
Northern VA
Wow, there's a lot of bad information in this thread.

The whole point of a switch pitch converter is to provide a higher stall speed converter when you need it and a lower stall speed when you don't. The higher stall speed was originally intended to provide torque multiplication for improved acceleration, but it also works well if you have a radical cam, since you can wire the converter solenoid to your brake pedal switch and have the high stall speed when you're stopped with the trans in gear.

This has nothing to do with a trans brake. In fact, you can run a trans brake in addition to the switch pitch if you want to at the track. Again, the trans brake shocks the suspension at launch, where the switch pitch provides the higher stall speed.

Now the bad news. I did one of these conversions in the 1980s when Kenne-Bell was still selling the kits. It worked great, but obviously they don't sell the parts anymore. Up until a few years ago you could buy the hardware from PAE Enterprises, but their website has gone dark. I don't know where you can get new parts today. The only possibility might be Fatsco, which specializes in parts for obsolete automatics.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Cptech on this site had a SP T-400 for sale last year, as I recall he still has it. I don't remember if it was a dual bolt pattern but he had it behind a worked Chevy. He's near Philly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor