T-Top Center Pillar

Status
Not open for further replies.

realjwann

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 15, 2007
Newbie here, I have an 83 cutty with the tops, the problem is the center pillar is rusted to hell and weather stripping is gone....

now my question, is the center pillar removable, can i actually unbolt it from the car and put in another center pillar? Also, any idea where one could find a center pillar for the g-bodies, i just lost one on ebay.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
If it is anything like a 3rd gen Camaro, then yes it is removable-depending on which piece you are refering to. The top piece holds the T tops and the weatherstripping and these can easily be removed. The actual roof structure is not easily removed without the use of a Sawzall or plasma cutter! As for where to find one, I saw a Regal in the Junkyard the other day which was a T top car. It was the 81-88 style. Be careful though, as there are 2 T top setups for G bodies-one was factory and one was a dealer installed or aftermarket kit. I believe the kit was made by ASC. You need to know which one you have and I don't know how to tell them apart as I have never messed with them.

realjwann

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 15, 2007
Has to have been stock GM T-Top Setup, if you could please look into that t-top pillar, price shipping to 78537 i would greatly appreciate it. THanx for the reply

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
If it were actually there, I would want $50-100 for it were I to pull it depending on what they wanted and how much of a hassle it is to get it out, but I will not likely be back there for a few weeks as I am trying to finish paint and body on my Cutlass and it takes all of my time. Try your local U pull it yards-every major metropolitan area has one. I go 1-2 times a week when I am gathering parts for a project because of the rapid turnover.

arocars

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 1, 2007
Massachusetts
t-tops

Hi there,
If I'm reading your question correctly, you're wondering if the metal center part of the t-tops is unboltable and replaceable. I believe the answer is, "No". The inside plastic trim pieces are unboltable and replaceable, but the metal part that the t-tops sit on is not, it's part of the roof and would need to be physically cut out/off and replaced with another piece. Usually if the center portion is rotted, the rest of it is too, especially up near the top of the windshield.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
Post a picture of the damn thing with the T tops removed so everyone is on the same page and knows which piece you are referring to. If it is flat black and has the weatherstripping running through it and there is a center "T" shaped piece that hods the T tops down then yes, it comes off. You have to remove the weatherstripping to find the screws.

realjwann

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 15, 2007
Will take pics today and post tomorrow, thanks for help

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
Sorry...didn't mean to sound like an *ss. I Was just irritated at the back and forth without knowing which piece you were referring to. BTW, what are you willing to pay for one? We get lots of G bodies in local junkyards and I may be able to make a deal with you if I can find one.

dougwoods7

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 7, 2006
Bastrop LA.
If you just need the plates, you can get them new from gbodyparts.com. They are stainless and they claim that they will never rust again. I have to get a set myself. They also sell the center rail. Just thought I would throw that in.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
Looked at the junked Regal yesterday and they were wasted on that car. Probably 25% of the metal was rusted away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor