T-top conversion....hmmmm....

Status
Not open for further replies.

J3

Greasemonkey
Jan 1, 2009
East TX
Glad this thread came back from the dead. Good info. Always thought I would be going the sunroof route, but the glass roof on my Vette has had me thinking about a future T-Top conversion instead... Not to mention it would be a factory correct option. :lol:

MR442

G-Body Guru
Apr 1, 2010
Back woods Central PA
Do whole roof section Like pictured. No issues way easy to line them up just take time . Weather stripping is avialible in aftermarket and NOS and some on shelf still be found

J3

Greasemonkey
Jan 1, 2009
East TX
Yeah, that's the way I'd do it. That way you'd never know it wasn't factory.

gpexpress

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 4, 2011
stuart, florida,
i like this post. the roof on my 84 gp is rustin and have been thinkin of replacin with a t top roof. biggest think is finding a donor car i can get the roof off of

gpexpress

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 4, 2011
stuart, florida,
i have a question. if i was going to cut a ttop roof off a car to change mine would i need to take the top off a gp or are all the gbody roofs the same?

BiggsVI

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 27, 2011
Cleveland, OH
I just recently purchase a T-Top roof & is seriously thinking about doing this conversion. I'm a little scared because this would be my first time actually doing a roof transplant, But I have lots of experience with body work & welding I was wondering if anyone has a complete write up about doing this transplant?
Here is a picture of my car & Donor roof

Attachments

• IMG_0966.JPG
    IMG_0966.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 1,855

speedbuff

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 20, 2012
I am planning to do a t top transplant as well has anyone ever spliced one together under the vinyl top ?

uneek1976

G-Body Guru
Jul 24, 2009
Sugar Grove IL/ Chicago
I love my T-Tops as well!! I had a accident in my regal last year and I was up on the fence about getting another body or keeping mine and put it back together. So lets just say that theres no new body and the T-Tops will be a keeper!!!! 8)

speedbuff

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 20, 2012
Well I took a different railroad but arrived at the same place .I cut the roof behind the b pillar and joined it there .The roof panels overlap about 2 inches and are nice and tight .It was kinda scary cuttimg the lid off but it worked out well I will post some pics the 2 roof panels will be glued together like they are at the factory nowadays so no warpage of the panels to worry about and the epoxy is stronger than the actual metal (great unbelievable stuff.The posts will of course be migged on and I will take lots of pics.We used factory holes in the a pillar as reference points to splicethe pillarsa back together .At the back the cut at the quarter window allowed us to place the roof correctly there .Pics to follow

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor