T56

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanwitski

Master Mechanic
Nov 5, 2006
OH
I'm sure somewhere in this forum it has been covered i did not see it. I want a T56 in my elky this summer. I need the pedals of course but will the G body bell housing fit up to the T56?
It does not seem that hard to put one in. I need pedals, linkage, hole in the floor :) , bell housing, clutch. Do i need a different fly wheel and is the T56 hydraulic and if so how hard is that process. did i miss anything. i like to know everything before i start. thanks! I know I'm kinda clueless about standards but i love to drive them!

ryanwitski

Master Mechanic
Nov 5, 2006
OH
the link led me to a access denied page. maybe just copy and paste the list of parts. thanks.

ryanwitski

Master Mechanic
Nov 5, 2006
OH
okay I now know the T56 is hydraulic and I understand all of that. The bell housing is where I'm confused. I ''have" to use the special g body one right? If that is the case then I heard you can't run it with hydraulics which should not be a big deal right? I'm still a little confused. with the right bell housing from the G body and clutch fork will it bolt up easy or do i need to get a kit from somebody? I just want to know which is easiest and most reliable. THANKS!

RedHotRegal

Master Mechanic
Mar 26, 2006
Ontario, Canada
Will the bellhousing from a camaro not work? I remeber a few years ago a feature in HotRod magazine, It was a 85-86 Monte SS that was set up to run the Silver State Classic in Arizona. It had a T56 in it and I swear it said that the bellhousing was from a 86? camaro. It was a sweet car, setup to run 180 mph all day.

ryanwitski

Master Mechanic
Nov 5, 2006
OH
Ya! that's what i was wondering! some people have used them (the camaro one) and some swear you can't. But does the camaro one bolt right up to my 84 block? I guess that was my big concern. that and if the G body oem manual transmission linkage would work with the T56 and if the hydraulics were a must. I know lots of questions. :roll: thanks!

RedHotRegal

Master Mechanic
Mar 26, 2006
Ontario, Canada
There should omly be 2 bolt patterns for chev I believe. Small Block and Big Block, its when you get into the olds, buicks, pontiacs that it gets interesting. Atleast thats what I think(my disclaimer) :lol:

ryanwitski

Master Mechanic
Nov 5, 2006
OH
oh if Pontiac is different then that would kinda suck. I want a 400 sb from a Pontiac. I think they are all the same. The camaro bell housing fit on that monte then I am good! The T56 should not be that bad then. I only need a different flywheel and a slave for the hydraulics, and of course a clutch pedals and linkage. thanks i think some people say you need specialty parts so they can sell you them.

Jman

Greasemonkey
Jan 4, 2006
Ontario
there are some differences. My swap was easy because I got everything. I think what people mean when they say you need the G-body bell is because you need it for the manual linkage style. there is some thing to do with the rear main seal to. but I'm drawing a blank on that. Also the T56 and the T5 are canted. If you go hydrolic you don't need any linkage.

This link tells you how to do a T5, but should be the same for a T56
http://www.monte-list.nu/tech/fivespeed.shtml

ryanwitski

Master Mechanic
Nov 5, 2006
OH
I looked at the link it has kinda helpful. The T56 i believe does not have the external hydraulic slave. It has the one inside. You can't use that one then from the f body. Maybe the pedals but not the lines. Guess i would have to use a master slave from a 2000 type camaro that had a T56. What years exactly were the T56 used? maybe if i know that then i can find the right parts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor