CUTLASS Tail light problem

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
That's an 86-up switch alright. The blue/black wire goes to the third brake light in the back window. The white wire goes to the turn signal switch. Where did that other wire come from? Did you find the other part where it used to go?

tiwii666

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 15, 2023
Canada
Ce sera le circuit 140, va droit au feu de détresse. Ensuite, comme vous l'avez dit, le blanc, circuit 17, va à la colonne. L'exception concerne ceux qui ont des clignotants arrière séparés des feux de freinage (exportations, LeMans / Grand Am, début des siècles) qui auront toujours un fil blanc mais ce sera le circuit 20 et va au faisceau arrière où la couleur sera /doit passer au bleu clair dans le harnais intermédiaire.
I Will try thanks you

tiwii666

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 15, 2023
Canada
C'est bien un commutateur 86-up. Le fil bleu/noir va au troisième feu stop dans la lunette arrière. Le fil blanc va au commutateur des clignotants. D'où vient cet autre fil ? Avez-vous trouvé l'autre partie à l'endroit où elle se trouvait ?
is going on brake commutator but the other side i dont know where is going

tiwii666

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 15, 2023
Canada
Ce sera le circuit 140, va droit au feu de détresse. Ensuite, comme vous l'avez dit, le blanc, circuit 17, va à la colonne. L'exception concerne ceux qui ont des clignotants arrière séparés des feux de freinage (exportations, LeMans / Grand Am, début des siècles) qui auront toujours un fil blanc mais ce sera le circuit 20 et va au faisceau arrière où la couleur sera /doit passer au bleu clair dans le harnais intermédiaire

Attachments

• 20230618_195118.jpg
    20230618_195118.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 62

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
The pic you have of the white wire hanging out of the blue wire....not supposed to go there. The switch looks like it's hooked up. Are you getting power AT THE ORANGE wire at all times? If not, that's a problem.

tiwii666

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 15, 2023
Canada
La photo que vous avez du fil blanc suspendu au fil bleu... n'est pas censée y aller. L'interrupteur semble branché. Êtes-vous toujours sous tension SUR LE fil ORANGE ? Si non, c'est un problème.
Pour regarder avec un test light je doit tu tourner la clef ?

tiwii666

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 15, 2023
Canada
The pic you have of the white wire hanging out of the blue wire....not supposed to go there. The switch looks like it's hooked up. Are you getting power AT THE ORANGE wire at all times? If not, that's a problem.
Do i need to turn key on to check with test light?

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
That orange wire should have power to it at all times. You should be able to take a DC voltmeter and check for approx 12V by back stabbing the wire from the back of the plug or you could just unplug it and check it that way if you like. Then ground the voltmeter and read the voltage.

It's power to the brake switch which goes through the blue and white wire when the brake pedal is pressed. Then it powers the third brake light and the white wire powers the tail stop lights via the turn signal switch in the column.

Reactions: 1 users

tiwii666

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 15, 2023
Canada
Ce fil orange devrait être alimenté en permanence. Vous devriez pouvoir prendre un voltmètre CC et vérifier environ 12 V en poignardant le fil à l'arrière de la prise ou vous pouvez simplement le débrancher et le vérifier de cette façon si vous le souhaitez. Ensuite, mettez le voltmètre à la terre et lisez la tension.

C'est l'alimentation du contacteur de frein qui passe par le fil bleu et blanc lorsque la pédale de frein est écartée. Ensuite, il alimente le troisième feu stop et le fil blanc alimente les feux stop arrière via l'interrupteur des clignotants dans la colonne
Ce fil orange devrait être alimenté en permanence. Vous devriez pouvoir prendre un voltmètre CC et vérifier environ 12 V en poignardant le fil à l'arrière de la prise ou vous pouvez simplement le débrancher et le vérifier de cette façon si vous le souhaitez. Ensuite, mettez le voltmètre à la terre et lisez la tension.

C'est l'alimentation du contacteur de frein qui passe par le fil bleu et blanc lorsque la pédale de frein est enfoncée. Ensuite, il alimente le troisième feu stop et le fil blanc alimente les feux stop arrière via l'interrupteur des clignotants dans la colonne.
I will try tomorrow if i not have multimeter can i use test light and what tension i need on the screen for the orange wire? Thanks you

tiwii666

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 15, 2023
Canada
I dont have at orange but my switch brake is good

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor