442 Taking A Stroll Down Memory Lane With My 442s

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Cleaning out a drawer today, ran across some old paperwork for my 87 442, and my 85 442. Here's a bit of it. Never noticed the GM Service ads were personalized. Hmm. Interestingly, the 87 was bought new in Elyria, OH at Steven Olds-Cadillac in June to a lady named Holly (built in April). The financing paperwork showed through GMAC she paid 9.95% interest for 48 months! It went to get Ziebarted before the winter, on October 7, 1987. By then, it was now Barry Oldsmobile-Cadillac. Hmmm.

The paperwork and everything appears pretty neat in that it documented mileage. First several years of ownership the mileage racked up slow, but steady. Then for the next 12 years after the last known documentation it went about 3,000 more miles. I got it with 19K miles and change in 2007.
GM 87 442 Service Coupons.png

11-17-95 Ziebart Receipt 87 442.png

This one is pretty cool. I circled the note for my pleasure.
10-27-93 Ziebart Receipt.png

IMG_0199 (1).jpg

IMG_0197.jpg

IMG_0194 (1).jpg

June 1987 GMAC 442 contract.png

And got these too!
IMG_0200 (1).jpg

Last edited:
Also had some 85 junk too. Here's an original sales bulletin announcing the return of the 442 for 1985. Also, a double sided mailer flyer I got in the mail from Oldsmobile. Guess because of the OCA membership at the time, I dunno. But I haven't seen but this one that was a fold out. Normally it's the full page ad you see. Kinda cool to see the Olds race cars in the background such as the WJ 84 H/O.

85 442 Olds Dealer Sales Bulletin Announcement.jpg

Got a dealer price spec book, too. I asked the dealership salesman for his, and he was like "Sure!" I got a lot of swag from that guy just for asking. And found the Olds Cassette for it, too.

IMG_0191 (1).jpg

And a SC safety inspection receipt from 2/23/1990. Rolled it to 10,716 miles by that point. Found a handful of these receipts like this.
85 442 2-23-1990 SC Safety Inspection Form.png

Last edited:
How cool was it that they used to give you the key fob with the engraved ID # and note to drop in any mailbox if found and they would try to get it returned to owner.

I have to look in my junk drawer, might still have mine...

My 89 W Body international series they gave plastic double ended wallet keys that worked for doors and ignition. That was before they started using the chip (PASS, VATS) keys of course.

Reactions: melloelky
what's on the tape??
The jingle, of course. There is a special feel, in an Oldsmobile...more than the luxury ride, it's a feeling of pride that you're feeling inside.....there is a special feel, in an Oldsmobile.

Listen to the jingle for yourself. It's catchy. You can't get it out of your head.

Plus:
Neil Diamond, Barbara Streisand, Willie Nelson, Gatlin Brothers, some orchestra stuff, pretty much a mix of all sorts of genres so they could cover their bases as best they could depending on the buyer's taste.

There's several versions of the Olds ditty for local commercials, etc. :

Mostly music, very end singing.

Donut for commerical overdubbing.

Music only.

30 second normal singing.

60 second normal singing.

Oh, note in the flyer the 442 still depicts the "Cutlass Salon" script on the sail panel. Oops. Not on production models.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor