Tall Slicks in Stock Tubs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
I am considering running either a 29.5 or 30 inch tall slick on the back of my MCSS, Just not sure it is feasible without significant mods. The goal is to reduce the effective gear ratio of the 4.56s in the differential, and keep the tires under the stock sheet metal without jacking up the rear of the car.

I am guessing anything wider that a 9" slick in this diameter is out of the question, as I have run M/T 28x10.5 ET Drags with stock suspension and they barely fit. Rolling the wheel lips and hammering things is fine, but at this time I am not inclined to start narrowing the frame rails or widening the stock tubs - one day I will tub/mini-tub it.

Any thoughts or examples would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

online170

G-Body Guru
Oct 28, 2010
I havent done it but im sure it could be done.

My regal has had 275/60 Mickey ET Streets on it. The offset was not right so it rubbed on the inside but i had over an inch of clearance on the outside.

My bro's GP has had 275/60-15 Street tires of various brands. They work unless you have a rear passenger then it rubbed on turns and stuff. No modifications at all, and he played a long time to get the offset just right with spacers. He finally ended up getting a spring puck from CAPS. Its a PAPCO part number, you might find it somewhere else cheaper.

My wagon has 275/45/17's on it and there looks to be a bunch of space left to go up still.

Im almost certain i've seen guys at the track with 30" slicks, but they have jacked up rear ends usually like old school drag racers.

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
Damn that's a big tire. I did a small notch to mine but didn't mess with the quarter lip or stock tub at all. My 295/45/17 ET Streets fill the wheel well up completely. They even rub slightly. To get a 30" tire to fit you're probably gonna have to jack the *ss end up quite a bit. It's gonna look like something straight out of the 70s :puke:

L67ss

Royal Smart Person
Dec 8, 2016
One thing to remember too is some slicks "grow" as theyre used. So its always better to err on the side of caution with tire clearance

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
Have run 29.5-9-15 MT slicks on my regal w/ an 8in rim - 3.5 back space. Tight but fits

2016-06-11 22.02.52.jpg

Reactions: 3 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor