Tax on shipping?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jiho

Royal Smart Person
Jul 26, 2013
FYI Fleabay, the USPS doesn't tax me when I buy stamps.
The USPS still remembers a stamp tax caused an armed revolt.* I have a bunch of "forever" stamps that commemorate it - a fun gag to use.

Fleabay, OTOH, thinks more like the King of England.

* (A little play on words.)

Reactions: 1 user

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Eons ago in its infancy years---(1999 or 2000)---Ebay decided they were getting screwed on people selling an item like, say, an NOS fan belt for $1.50, with a $28 shipping charge. I think their cut was maybe 3.5 or 5%, not sure back then. They were making 50 cents off that deal while the seller shipped the belt for $4 and put $25 in their own pocket. TOTALLY legal at that time. But I saw neon lights go for $5 with $795 shipping charges. THAT's why they changed the business model and started charging their percentage of fees based on "total" sale price which included shipping. I don't know how they were able to pull that off legally, but they did. I guess because it was a fee, not a tax.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Well thanks for clearing that up 69hurstolds. Excuse me while I bend over and apply some KY for the privilege of living in New-F-ing-York. I looked at the tax site and never found that. That doesn't change my mind that Fleabay is a bunch of cheapola chiselers........................................................................ View attachment 162443

that sign would be funny if it was not true.......

oldsmobile joe

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2015
mpls
Some states tax on labor also, not just the goods.
They may have rolled "shipping and HANDLING" into just "shipping". They're taxing the "handling " but not breaking it down for you.
Rockauto does the same. Then when you use their discount code, they only discount the parts and not the shipping.

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Is ebay even relevant anymore?

Have not sold on there in 5 years, after they screwed me on a refused package

Generally, unless it's an actual individual selling some random part they didn't use, it can be bought elsewhere for the same price without all the games.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

Bonnewagon

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
I think it goes under the heading of "just because you can doesn't mean you should." Lots of places don't and do just fine. I blame all this on our douchebag ex-Governor Spitzer. He was the first to enact the internet taxation. Then they all got on board. (Yeah- he was the one caught with the $2000 an hour hooker).

Bonnewagon

Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
"That's 12K plus 960 tax" Would that come under "handling"? Maybe I am naive but I am still wondering what she can do that is worth $2000. :mrgreen:

Last edited:

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
"That's 12K plus 960 tax" Would that come under "handling"? Maybe I am naive but I am still wondering what she can do that is worth $2000. :mrgreen:
Rebuild a transmission. Or perform surgery. That would be my expectation for that price.

• Haha

Bonnewagon

Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
c45df0917339786adffad85954c69a4b.jpg

• Winner
  • Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor