Temp gauge tweaked

SoFloG

Royal Smart Person
Mar 9, 2016
South Florida
So, the other night took the car out and after beating on it decided to get some food. Backed in to the restaurant and get out and heard and watched the lower radiator hose let loose. Temp was at about 200 and I spent the previous day on the road for an hour in traffic... never went above 210. I also never tightened the hose clamp from weeks earlier. Anyways, I decided to drive it home about a mile away after tightening the hose and the gauge went all the way back to the stop pin. It wasn't that hot but I think the steam got to the temp sender which is on top of the intake manifold. Hose tight filled back up with water ran it and now it's running around 230 instead of 190.

Long story short the Gauge is now reading zero around 140, even dipped in ice water. Is there any way to calibrate or is it just a cheap pos and I should throw another gauge in?

Attachments

• 20231114_174323.jpg
    20231114_174323.jpg
    784.8 KB · Views: 27

Ernest

G-Body Guru
Apr 28, 2016
Texas
Theres isnt any recalibration that can be done that im aware of, so the water temp gauge is probably hosed..... get another, and if you care about your engine, go with an AUTO METER gauge set.
auto meter qauge set.jpg

Reactions: 4 users

Sweet_Johnny

Has A Face For Radio
Supporting Member
Oct 4, 2022
Wichita, Kansas
Equus makes decent gauges at an affordable price. Also, make the jump to electric gauges if you can- it's real nice not having to run the lines for the water/oil and leaves a much cleaner appearance.

Reactions: 1 user

Ernest

G-Body Guru
Apr 28, 2016
Texas
The Equus gauges arent too bad... im using a manual oil pressure and electric water temp gauges, came with the car when i got it, no clue how long they have been installed.

A good 6months ago, i had to replace the oil pressure gauge, the needle was sticking where it wanted, so it wasnt able to show the correct oil pressure with engine running, but when im ready to redo my entire gauge set, im definately going with AUTO METER.

Reactions: 1 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor