Temp sensor problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

attngtr

Apprentice
Nov 5, 2008
Iowa
My coolant temp guage doesn't seem to work. I'm not sure if it is the guage or the sender. All my other guages work so I think it might be the sender. I can't seem to find anyone that sells it. Is there any easy way to check this or someone that sells the sender?
Thanks

srercrcr

G-Body Guru
Jun 19, 2006
San Antonio, Texas
If it quit all of a sudden I suspect a broken or disconnected wire.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
If you ground the sender wire, the gauge should peg if it works right.

attngtr

Apprentice
Nov 5, 2008
Iowa
It wasn't all of a sudden. I bought the car with a blown motor and just rebuilt and installed another 350 over the weekend. So i had no idea what works or what doesn't. I broke the new motor in and the guage never moved. Other guages work fine. Someone at one time cut and spliced the sender wire under the hood. If I ground it I take it the key should at least be on or should the car be running?
Thanks for the help.

joe_padavano

Royal Smart Person
Sep 13, 2006
Northern VA
attngtr said:
My coolant temp guage doesn't seem to work. I'm not sure if it is the guage or the sender. All my other guages work so I think it might be the sender. I can't seem to find anyone that sells it. Is there any easy way to check this or someone that sells the sender?
Thanks

Which car? Factory or aftermarket gauges?

The sender for the factory gauges should look something like this ($16.99 from Partsamerica):

http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductDeta ... 90&PTSet=A

ts26471-1.jpg

attngtr

Apprentice
Nov 5, 2008
Iowa
Sorry it is for my 1983 Caballero. Thanks everyone I found one at Auto Zone for $6.99. I will try that and see what happens.

srercrcr

G-Body Guru
Jun 19, 2006
San Antonio, Texas
Now I suspect it has a sending unit in the 350 for idiot lights. Easy swap to one for gauges, except for the 350 engine combo to G Body gauges is pretty rare (option on wagons that I know of), unless all will work OK.

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
as said earlier, ground the connector as see if it indicates hot, if not check for power at the connector. if no power, trace back circuit till it has power and repair.

attngtr

Apprentice
Nov 5, 2008
Iowa
OK I grounded the sender wire and the guage pegs itself so it is not that. I put a new sender in but havn't had time to run the car. Hope that fixes it.
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor