Th200-4r TV Cable Bracket

Status
Not open for further replies.
85GPLef41 said:
i used edelbrock 8031 throttle bracket BUT i had a SBC... :| did you look into bowtieoverdrive's kit? http://www.tvmadeez.com/ and i agree with gbody vet i would probably go with a modded q-jet :mrgreen:
Thanks for the link 85GP I will look into that

Sounds like you've never had a Q-jet that was built right! But anyway, that's another discussion......

Here's what I found for lengths

Chevy, '87 SS
Dorman PN 04207, 38.75"
ATP, PN Y206, 39.00"

Buick V6, '87 GN
Dorman, PN 04216 37.00"
(didn't have an ATP PN for this one)

Olds, '87 442
Dorman, PN 04207 (same length as Chevy from this company) 38.75"
ATP, PN Y314 38.25"

G-Body_Vet said:
Sounds like you've never had a Q-jet that was built right! But anyway, that's another discussion......

Here's what I found for lengths

Chevy, '87 SS
Dorman PN 04207, 38.75"
ATP, PN Y206, 39.00"

Buick V6, '87 GN
Dorman, PN 04216 37.00"
(didn't have an ATP PN for this one)

Olds, '87 442
Dorman, PN 04207 (same length as Chevy from this company) 38.75"
ATP, PN Y314 38.25"
Thanks for the research G-Body_Vet and thanks for your service! I just ordered the kit from Bowtie Overdrives and spoke with the owner who has a patent on these and has been researching and developing them for twenty years! He says it will work, but we will see. Nope never going back to vacuum secondaries,, sorry but the Edelbrock is hassle free and runs great!

No problem, don't mention it! Let us know how that turns out. I still have a ways to go but I've been gathering a shitload of parts along the way.

I learned something about these TV cables a long time ago when converting my 83' Z-28 from cross fire fuel injection to Edelbrock intake and Holley carb. The cross fire had a unusually shorter throw or movement in the throttle. The TV cable needed a 3/4 movement total in order to make it happy on the cross fire but for the Holley the supplied bracket moved the cable 1 1/4. This created lazy and slippery shifts because it wasn't seeing the correct carburetor opening for supplied line pressure needed.

Here is my solution. First thing you must do is set the TV cable back to zero. Make a mark on the wire cable with a sharpie where it first comes out of the bracket. Have a friend pull the cable out as far as it can go. Measure the distance it moves to where it stops. That is the movement you must achieve while opening the throttle to 100%. Not enough movement causes it to shift slow and late. At this point you fabricate a bracket to hook on the throttle shaft and also to the TV cable. I believe a pin was supplied with the carburetor that could be bolted to the bracket for the TV cable. The bracket was just a simple piece of 1/8 " steel about 1 3/4" long by 3/8" wide. I put some slop in the holes so I could fine tune the throw by changing the radius of the throw. It was very simple.

I did a little digging and found this article. Go to the bottom part when it speaks of adjustment and fabricating. This is pretty much exactly what I did but it was about 25 years ago for me. Back then TV cables were voodo.

Http://www.shiftritetransmissions.com/700r4tvinfo.htm

Forgot to mention that while adjusting this in I caused the TV cable to open too quickly and the thing shifted late and extremely harsh. If I left it like that it would of ruined it quickly. I adjusted it to where it felt right and never touched it again. I literally worked perfect.

85GPLef41 said:
i used edelbrock 8031 throttle bracket BUT i had a SBC... :| did you look into bowtieoverdrive's kit? http://www.tvmadeez.com/ and i agree with gbody vet i would probably go with a modded q-jet :mrgreen:
Thanks 85GP I ordered a bracket kit from Bowtieoverdrive and bolted it on today and took the GP for a test drive and she's shifting great now! Thanks again.

84GP455 said:
85GPLef41 said:
Thanks 85GP I ordered a bracket kit from Bowtieoverdrive and bolted it on today and took the GP for a test drive and she's shifting great now! Thanks again.

Hey, no problem! Glad it worked out for you! i was goin to use them but found a somewhat cheaper solution for my sbc/2004r prior build.. But my swap was a basic one compared to your build up.

Chopper said:
Forgot to mention that while adjusting this in I caused the TV cable to open too quickly and the thing shifted late and extremely harsh. If I left it like that it would of ruined it quickly. I adjusted it to where it felt right and never touched it again. I literally worked perfect.
So far it feels great, it shifts not too hard and especially not too soft and it downshifts well. I hope it will stay this way thanks. 😀

Let us know how that kit works out for you.
Subscribed!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor