TH200 Delayed Shifts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael Bennett

Greasemonkey
Jun 7, 2018
Swapped a 400 small block into my 70K mile '80 Malibu 229 V6 car. I knew the stock TH200C wouldn't last too long, but I figured if I was nice to it I could milk it until I had a TH350 to swap in.

I adjusted the TV cable the way you're supposed to: loosen it up and then let it pull out until at full throttle and lock in the setting. It shifted okay for the first week or so but after a full throttle run through all three gears letting it shift itself, it now has a delayed 1-2 shift and then usually goes right into third.

I've tried the cable a little looser and a little tighter. A little tighter makes it shift a little sooner but not much. The dipstick still shows nice pink fluid and no burnt smell. Could it be some kind of governor or something causing the delayed 1-2 shift? 3-4 seems fine.

Any ideas would me most appreciated!

Michael Bennett

Greasemonkey
Jun 7, 2018
So I got around to pulling the pan and the trans is fried to probably no ones surprise. Still shifts but will not shift into second under full throttle and if downshifted manually it free spins. Time to install the TH350...............

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I guess the temptation and urge to get on it over took you. :p I kinda predicted it would happen.

Reactions: 1 users

Michael Bennett

Greasemonkey
Jun 7, 2018
Yeah, didn't help that it was still spinning the tires at 50 MPH due to the 14 in tires and one legged rear end.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Well, you said you were going to baby it until you had the other trans ready to go in. So, I guess there was no surprise that you were going to trash it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor