th350/700r-4 swap shift linkage

Status
Not open for further replies.

79malibu

Master Mechanic
Jul 30, 2007
south dakota
calling out to all those who have done the 350 to 700 r-4 swap.

ok i seen a potential problem. i can't hook up my shift linkage. do i reuse my bracket that come stock for a 350 trans that attaches to the shifting shaft(bolt,stud,etc, whatever) or the one i have on it now that come stock on a 86 caprice? its where the steel elbow goes through. from what i can measure, the shift rod on the 700 is back towards the rear about 1/2'' to an inch. i can take pics but i dunno how to post them. in all my reading up on the web nowone ever mentioned changing shift linkage.

once again all help is greatly appreciated!

79malibu

Master Mechanic
Jul 30, 2007
south dakota
routing transmission lines around headers

hi guys. i need pics quick or info on wheres best to run the transmission cooler lines. with the headers on the only 2 ways to route my new lines seems to be along the starter or along the headers going up by the fender well and over. so........ basically whichever way i run the lines means it will interfer with taking the starter or headers off. please help.

dan2286

Royal Smart Person
Mar 25, 2008
Cleveland, Ohio
Are you talking about the shifter cable? I would think try finding one off of a gbody that used a 4 speed trans.

For the transmission lines they do make remote mounted transmission coolers that you can mount any where and you can use a fan on that if their is no airflow getting to the new location.

79malibu

Master Mechanic
Jul 30, 2007
south dakota
help

no, i don't have a shifter cable. i have a colum shifter not a consule. car is a 79 malibu. the stock shifter is the rod setup. i have measured that the lenght from front case to shaft is same between 700 and 2004r so the only car that has the correct shift rod plate that attaches to the brake combination/proportional valve and house the one end of the rod with the spring and swivel with a OD and colum shift is the el camino. so now i must find an 86-88 elcamino and examine the bracket stated and compare to my stock 79 one. then if its right then i must get one or if possible modify/extend my stock one.

i bought new flexible steel lines (armour coat or steel etc.)for my 700 swap and wanted to run them in abouts the stock position but reconnect to my auxuilary cooler after the radiator. its just that with the headers in the way i can only see the 2 ways to run the lines as stated in earlier rant. :(

79malibu

Master Mechanic
Jul 30, 2007
south dakota
parts

hey, who here has an 85? to 88 el camino with the 2004r trans?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor