th350 tc in a th400 will it work ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cutlass79

Greasemonkey
May 8, 2011
merrillan wis
iv been looking it up and have found some saying its a kickdown or N\P safety switch or downshift solenoid.when i first put the trans in it work all tho the gears and dident have any kind of prob out of it.and as soon as i moved up here to wi iv have a few probs with it shifting evey now in then and revin high and not shifting into 3ed one time it was so bad i went tho 30 bucks in gas just goin 10 miles into town and the 10 miles back home. i was still goin tho time and tune with the new motor i put in afer moving up so i thought that was it but now after time and tune some days it works grate others it starts doing it again...ok so im goin to just go ahead and put in the th350 tc in hoping today as soon as my girl gets done with work so she dont get mad at me for working on it with out her. so ill let yall kno how it goes later today if that gets done

RegalBegal

G-Body Guru
Jul 10, 2009
Goldsboro, NC
The electrical connector is the kick down solenoid. Just like the TH350 has a kick down cable. The transmission may still kick down without using the switch but that's hard on it. Use a switch. On early cars, this was connected to a switch near the carb linkage. On later cars, there was a slider switch inside the car on the gas pedal. The vacuum line connects to modulator. This in part tells the transmission when to shift (at low vacuum). Aftermarket units are adjustable.

cutlass79

Greasemonkey
May 8, 2011
merrillan wis
RegalBegal said:
The electrical connector is the kick down solenoid. Just like the TH350 has a kick down cable. The transmission may still kick down without using the switch but that's hard on it. Use a switch. On early cars, this was connected to a switch near the carb linkage. On later cars, there was a slider switch inside the car on the gas pedal. The vacuum line connects to modulator. This in part tells the transmission when to shift (at low vacuum). Aftermarket units are adjustable.
ok so with that not hooked up cand it be harder on the trans could that cuz the probs im haveing and y the bolts came out like thay did?

RegalBegal

G-Body Guru
Jul 10, 2009
Goldsboro, NC
I've never seen or heard of converter bolts strip loose before. The only things that come to mind are 1) over tightening, 2) under tightening and they worked loose damaging the threads, 3) using the wrong bolts (either wrong threads or grade).

cutlass79

Greasemonkey
May 8, 2011
merrillan wis
RegalBegal said:
I've never seen or heard of converter bolts strip loose before. The only things that come to mind are 1) over tightening, 2) under tightening and they worked loose damaging the threads, 3) using the wrong bolts (either wrong threads or grade).
iv never see it befor to i kno thay wernt to loes maybe a little over tight but not so it that would of striped the bolts out like that but maybe i guess cuz the threads are gone in 2 of the 3 and the bolts are the one the auto shop looked up and gave me and thay fit fine i thought not to worryed bout it cuz i plan on putting a dif tc in was just worndering if the trans working harder could have something to do with it...ok just to be sure the vac is just for low vac kick down like at idle and the electrical kickdown is for while driving at a higher rpm?could not haveing that hooked up and driveing it on and off for 2 summers mess any thing up i should worry about ?sorry this is the first th400 iv messed with im ues to the th350s and the 700r4

RegalBegal

G-Body Guru
Jul 10, 2009
Goldsboro, NC
The vacuum is to regulate up shifts, just like the TH350. I should have been clearer. The transmission works harder when not down shifting at a low speed puts stress on the clutches. I doubt not having a switch damaged anything unless your always getting on it.

cutlass79

Greasemonkey
May 8, 2011
merrillan wis
RegalBegal said:
The vacuum is to regulate up shifts, just like the TH350. I should have been clearer. The transmission works harder when not down shifting at a low speed puts stress on the clutches. I doubt not having a switch damaged anything unless your always getting on it. [/quoteok
ok then what does the electrical kick down do is it for down shfit kick down then?.and thanks for help

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor