th400 vs th350

Status
Not open for further replies.

78sik ick

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 3, 2012
I have a th350 that was built but is starting to give out. Just wondering if I would be better off uping to a mild th400 or get the th350 rebuilt again with even stronger parts. I'm making approx. 475-500 at the wheels. I have a builder who will do it for me for the price of parts and a case of beer. just looking for your 2 cents

78sik ick said:
I have a th350 that was built but is starting to give out. Just wondering if I would be better off uping to a mild th400 or get the th350 rebuilt again with even stronger parts. I'm making approx. 475-500 at the wheels. I have a builder who will do it for me for the price of parts and a case of beer. just looking for your 2 cents
BOP th400 will handle a lot more power out of the crate. May require more modifications to make it fit, but might be worth it. Takes a bit more power to turn a 400, but I dont think you will notice.... :mrgreen:

Thanks for the reply, do you have any idea how much more power, like 10% more than th350 like 10hp? Do you have any idea?

What is in the TH350 now? I have one behind my SBC making around 550-600 to the wheels without a problem. TCI synthetic clutches, hardened sprag and drum, hardened shaft. Yes is it not as stout as a TH400, but you already have a TH350, and the drive shaft to go with. Heck, we are even putting a trans-brake on the car for next year. This is my trans. Clutches as stated above, upgraded sprag and drum, street-fighter valve-body; PTC converter if it makes any difference.

I'd have to double check but I know that it has tci clutches for sure, I believe stock shafts. Just wondering how much those upgrades cost compared to getting a th400 for $200 and having that built up a little.

In the long run you will be ahead with the TH400. Do you have plans for more power? That would be the main factor I would look at. If your planning on more power then go TH400, but if you are about done then stick with the TH350...

There is always more power down the road lol but with a whole new motor.... i just got a 4 bolt block with plans of a fully forged roller cam 383 hopefully around 650hp.

A 400 is said to use about 18 Hp more to run over the 350. But with that kinda power, a 400 would be adequate.

Evan's 85 said:
A 400 is said to use about 18 Hp more to run over the 350. But with that kinda power, a 400 would be adequate.
Data to back up your statement?

Evan's 85 said:
I found it online awhile ago that a TH400 actually takes 7-9% compared to 5-7% of the TH350 but a stock TH400 is good up to 600hp. It was in a Hot Rod magazine. I would have to do some looking to find it but I dont think you will notice the change.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor